MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone,

I am new to the MR2 world and recently bought a 1992 Turbo Chassis MR2 with a 3rd gen 3SGTE in decent conditions with a few bolt ons.

The CT26 that came with the car was smoking (I assume due to broken seals inside) so I bought a turbo kit from a friend, the Precision Turbo that came with this kit is only oil cooled (no water lines) but the CT26 was oil/water cooled so my question is:

What to do with the unused water/coolant lines?

Sorry if this was already discussed before but I was not able to find a post related to this specific question.

On a side note, the plug shown on the last pic was already disconnected when I got the car, does anyone know what it is for?

Added some pictures for your reference:

f47014c9-8161-4be9-8fdb-a89cf8104a48.JPG
357157b9-cc33-4f13-87ba-74d1b600f746.JPG
f8a0eaf8-6705-409c-ae16-9ef744b9bb26.JPG
cb8e081f-c1b9-48eb-9005-f29ff93d3be9.JPG

·
Registered
858 Posts
I would loop them with a restrictor in the line (piece of aluminum with a maybe 1/8”/3mm hole drilled in it). If you just loop them, that’s a lot of coolant that’s continually bypassing your radiator.

With a restrictor, you have the stock coolant flow circuit, but without a ton of flow bypassing the rad.

·
Premium Member
13,289 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with the restrictor. Just cap them both, or loop them with a solid plug in the line. I don't see any need to have any flow there if it's not going to cool a turbo.

Reactions: GDII

·
Registered
858 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with the restrictor. Just cap them both, or loop them with a solid plug in the line. I don't see any need to have any flow there if it's not going to cool a turbo.
wouldn’t it help circulation in the head and block before the thermostat opens up? I suppose it’s not 100% necessary, but seems the closest to the OEM cooling system function to just restrict it some.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
I’d actually be more concerned with overheating turbo rather than looping or blocking coolant lines. It’s a small place to wedge a hot turbo between engine block and firewall without much air circulation. There’s a reason why the HFH gets cooked even with stock water cooled set-up.

At the very least I’d ditch the SMIC and install a decent fan in RH side vent to get some cool air into engine bay.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Similar setup here. My lines are just looped. No issues.

’d actually be more concerned with overheating turbo rather than looping or blocking coolant lines. It’s a small place to wedge a hot turbo between engine block and firewall without much air circulation. There’s a reason why the HFH gets cooked even with stock water cooled set-up.
Turbos are often in the back of engine bays with minimal airflow. Its fine. Let the oil do its job. everything else is designed for it.

·
Super Moderator
2,714 Posts
wouldn’t it help circulation in the head and block before the thermostat opens up? I suppose it’s not 100% necessary, but seems the closest to the OEM cooling system function to just restrict it some.
The coolant system already had a circulation loop in place. So capping the turbo line is fine.
I’d actually be more concerned with overheating turbo rather than looping or blocking coolant lines. It’s a small place to wedge a hot turbo between engine block and firewall without much air circulation. There’s a reason why the HFH gets cooked even with stock water cooled set-up.

At the very least I’d ditch the SMIC and install a decent fan in RH side vent to get some cool air into engine bay.
Not all turbos have coolant running to them.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Water cooling the turbo is more to prevent oil coking than overheating. Oil cooled turbos are designed to run hot and have lots of oil running through the center section to keep them cool. As long as the engine is idled for a bit after running hard, you'll be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts