MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all ..

Another problem has yet come up on my never ending list of problems =(

After the drag-day at the local strip, i noticed on the way back home that my turbo was spooling up much louder than usual. It's very very loud and people standing by outside can clearly hear it, some saying it sounds like a truck spooling up. I had the boost set on between 0.9 & 1bar on Sunday morning.

I can't boost pass 0.8bar since then, and i can't even hardly feel the turbo kick in anymore.

Can anyone tell me what this could be??

Thanks

·
Registered
800 Posts
sounds like my car. Spool got louder but lost it's kick. Time for a CT20 :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
well.. running out of oil will cook your tubro.. u had about 1 litre in the car.. i dont knw how ur engine is still alive.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Jay I'm sorry to hear about it man. I didn't notice any loud noise when we were driving back. I take it, it was after we all left and you at the servo whilst u were topping up your oil?

CT20b time for you!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
you have to be more detailed. how many miles on your turbo?

you can also have a boost leak, causing your turbo to over-work itself

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
details .. hmm ..

well i was low on oil, it was about half a cm below the 'low' mark on the dipstick ... about 100,000-120,000kms on the turbo ... running 1 bar of boost with only an air filter as mods ... had about 6 1/4 mile runs in about 4 hours, once every 45 mins or so.

·
Premium Member
11,937 Posts
Dude, have a centimeter below the low mark is not going to cause your turbo to go bad. That is still plenty of oil, not the best, but still okay. You should check for boost leaks. Do you have your primary and secondary CAT still? Maybe your CAT's are plugged up with buildup. Maybe you have a boost leak somewhere. If you're hearing that much noise I would check ALL of your intake pipes (the piece that connects to the inlet of the turbo from the AFM. The piece that connects to the outlet of the turbo, and all of the other connectors on the rest of the intake.) Take the piece that is on the inlet of the turbo completely off and inspect it. Check that you don't have any leaks at all. If you do your AFM will have mis-measured air entering the engine and your timing and AFR will be WAAAYYY off.

Your turbo is the last thing that I would suspect.

Baktash

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I second(well actually third) that it could be a boost leak. When I had a turbo on my Audi S4 go bad, right before it completely broke the shaft in half it made loud whistling noises as you are describing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts