MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're still having problems with the MR2. FUNNY THAT!!!!! I bet you had already guessed by the time you saw my name in the forum! I only seem to be here when we have trouble

Baciscally we fiddle with it , she runs well with no fault codes then all of a sudden on a nice drive thee engine management light comes on and everything goes pearshaped.

When we got the car - the distributor was in a certain position , it will not run that way now and in order to get her to start we need to turn it hard one way, the timing doesnt look too far off but sandy has ordered a new tming belt . Any suggestions?

Up until now we hadnt really had time to get into the guts of it because the mechanics kept needing the hyrdaulic ramps and we would have top put everything back together ever night and put the car away , but now sandy has bought a container to put the car in and is jus getting the electrics sorted to get lighting and stuff so he can really get in about it and not worry about having to put it back together after a couple of hours work, what else should be we looking at now that we have the time?

Anyway , the long and the short of it is the car runs well at times then all of a sudden goes pear shaped and usually spits out 34/35 - turbo pressure sensor- have you any ideas?? There doesnt seem to be any split pipes, also the dump valve blows off long before it normally should.

ALso I bought a manaual on cd rom - but i think have the wrong one, it says its for 1991 but we have a 90 - or are they both the same? also they talk baout two engines - the 3S GTE??? and the 5S or something- im not sure- do you know which ours would be - it is trubo 16 valve.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
If your getting both 34 and 35, there is a short or open in the pressure sensor circuit.

This usually is the result of a faulty FCD, or a faulty FCD install. Check the wiring all the way from the pressure sensor back to the eCU.

If yu have to turn the distributor significantly off center to set the timing, then the intake cam is probably off one tooth.

bill

bill

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well guess what we still havent fix the problems....

we have checked that the timing is ok on the car, everything seems fine, but car will only run if the distributor is turned hard round one way - anyone got any suggestions?

thanks in anticipation, please search all my posts if you want to know more.....I have to ask a lot....

car is 1990 jap import 2.0 twin entry turbo ,16 v

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
TRUCKERSGIRL said:
Well guess what we still havent fix the problems....

we have checked that the timing is ok on the car, everything seems fine, but car will only run if the distributor is turned hard round one way - anyone got any suggestions?
Your crank/cam timing is off. Your intake cam drives the distributor. If it is necessary to set the distributor t or near the limits of its rotation, it means the intake cam is off one tooth.

bill

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

thanks bill for another speedy reply....howvere- the timing would look to be spot on looking at the marks and the manual - could it be the distributor that is wrong?

will try moving timing one tooth tonight to try and see though....

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
TRUCKERSGIRL said:
thanks bill for another speedy reply....howvere- the timing would look to be spot on looking at the marks and the manual - could it be the distributor that is wrong?

will try moving timing one tooth tonight to try and see though....
The distributor keys into the intake cam. If the intake cam is right, the distributor is right.

However, some owner's have found the crank pulley to be off, due to wear on the key/keyway. Its easy to check whether the the zero mark on the pully is actually TDC with long screwdriver or a wood dowel through the plug port.

bill

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bill, managed to sort out the lastest problem with the timing being one tooth off and the car was running like a dream - with the turbo pressure sensor removed, now that its back on the car is back to a dead loss and number 34 is coming up in the diagnostic codes on its own.

Obviously this is our one remaining problem but where could this stem from - obviously too much pressure building up in the turbo ? any solutions? ideas?

thanks again billwot for all your help with our problems!!

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Check the voltage between PIM and E1/E2 (the pressure sensor signal).

There must be a positive voltage at PIM < 4.4 vdc. If there is no voltage (open) or if there is > 4.4 V (short or overboost) the ECU will initiate FC.

Are you sure you're not getting #35 also? What is your OEM gauge saying?

bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts