MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I know I have seen a few companies that make turbo kits for the 5sfe, however I cant remember who they are and I am having a hard time finding even one. I dont want 600 hp or anything, I just want forced induction on my 5sfe. And if you are going to post something about an engine swap or supercharger, dont bother posting at all. I have a 3sgte car already, I want them both to be turbocharged though.

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
He specifically said he wanted a kit. Burien makes the one that everyone else has pirated, and they are the only kit suppliers IIRC. They use new parts whereas everyone doing it themselves makes do with used parts.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
well you can generally turbo anything, the big point is will it be worth doing and will it be reiabable. usually my take is no because your turboeing something with high miles usually and it's on something that wasnt designed to be turboed in the first place. Yes you can do it, it's your money but generally your going to have a much more reiabable setup with a engine thats a turbo from the get go.

I guess your HP goals are a determining factor as well usually though after a week or so of driving a car you want something faster. lets say you have a turboed 5s with 200hp I dont think would be as reiabable as 3sgte with 200 from the start and once you want to add more power your getting closer to the limits of a turboed 5s than what the limits of a 3sgte would be.

Thats why the general concensis on trying to make a 5s faster is usually for someone to say to do a swap. By the time you put all that money into making it go reiabibily your usually shooting your self in the foot becuase you can have something just as good if not usually better for the same price and you have much more room to play with.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Eh, give him a break he's new. It does have to do with the 5sfe but not NA power. This would be optimal in the hybrid section but the biggest thing is the search function would have gave him the answer without the skewering from other board members.....

Welcome to the boards SlideAlliance by the way!!!

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
ADent55 said:
He specifically said he wanted a kit. Burien makes the one that everyone else has pirated, and they are the only kit suppliers IIRC. They use new parts whereas everyone doing it themselves makes do with used parts.
How did everyone else pirate it? It uses a different manifold and turbo than the standard 5sfte setup and no intercooler.

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
Itztitz (no longer contributing to the board) and another member reverse engineered the original Burien kit.

Burien figured out that the turbo map sensor would be a plug and play unit, to read pressure and vacuum (whereas the stock 5sfe sensor only reads vacuum), and that the "weakened" (for lack of a better word) signal required bigger injectors, and that Supra light green top injectors would give just the right amount of extra gas. Burien also used the ct26 off the turbo car, and I thought they were just using stock turbo manifolds in the beginning (until, I think, they started using custom manifolds), but also the turbo oil pan and a few other parts. They didn't offer a stock turbo intercooler in order to keep costs down.

Itztitz figured out what they were doing, and decided to try using used parts to bring the cost down. It worked, until he had ignition problems and blew a piston or two because he kept cranking up the boost. It took other members a while to figure out (actually, at about the same time) that the 5sfe ecu under these circumstances -especially when s-afc's were used to tighten the focus on a/f ratios- over-advanced the spark, hence the earlier efforts at using MSD BTM boost retard units and other solutions.

I haven't checked to see what Burien has been up to lately, but they were the first to figure the basic problems (map sensor, injectors, etc) out and have a lot of experience with what they have. As I said in an earlier post, they also use new parts and, for what they do (keeping boost levels at reasonable levels), it reportedly is a good kit.

However, there is very little aftermarket support for Toyotas because, when the cars are new, TRD saturates the market -they are the best engineers, and make the best parts. As a result, other aftermarket suppliers don't even bother to compete, mostly, preferring to go after Mitsubishis and the like. When the Toyotas are no longer sold, however, TRD abandons the cars and, with there being only used cars around, the aftermarket is slow -if at all- to start making parts for Toyotas because those guys would have a larger market share going after new and used cars instead of just used cars.

The point is, as a result of all of this and a few other factors, there is a dearth of gofast parts for the 5sfe. Those of us who have them tend to be either cheap people or imaginative I'd-rather-do-it-myselfers, or both, hence the even more limited market for after market parts for our cars. This environment breeds a certain amount of contempt for expensive parts.

For example, RippMods makes a centrifugal sc unit for the 5sfe but they got battered by the reaction of some board members because their unit is more expensive than Burien's turbo kit and there are a lot of threads about how the centrifugal sc is a waste of time. Frankly, no one to my knowledge gave them a fair shot, and after their initial product announcement was made on this board, they never came back because of the beating they got.

Sorry for the rant, and I'm gonna get flamed for some of what I said, but that's a short history of the 5sfte.

Epilog: I've been reading these posts since they first started appearing on the old board and have noticed that, since the initial development of the 5sfte, a lot of experience was pooled on this board and, being an open format, development has progressed to the point it is at now, with larger turbos, standalones being more common, etc. When I bought my '91 n/a about 4 or 5 years ago, the only thing you could do with the n/a was swap in a 3sgte. Now we're mixing heads, putting in v-6's, and vendors have come and gone (HME, SS AutoChromes, etc.). It's progressed so far that the state of the art is unrecognizeable from its roots, hance your puzzlement over how things got to where they are now.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
qwik_MR2_5sfte said:
Eh, give him a break he's new. It does have to do with the 5sfe but not NA power. This would be optimal in the hybrid section but the biggest thing is the search function would have gave him the answer without the skewering from other board members.....

Welcome to the boards SlideAlliance by the way!!!
Thanks for the greeting. I searched aroung but didnt see anything, I didnt use the search function because I am new to this site and didnt know where it was....actually I still dont, where is it? However I figured out that it was burien like two minutes after I posted this so dont worry. I do think its funny how you waste your time even answering something like this with stupid comments as some of you do on many threads. Hey, I did it to on the vw, nissan, and supra forums too, so no hard feelings :smile: I just want a little bit more acceleration around town, I dont want to get beat by a deville or buick or something. The reason I dont want to get a 3s is because I have had this car since I was 16 so I am not getting rid of it. Its a 91 and it only has 57k on it, so I figure a light boosting turbo kit will give me that little more edge that I want but without sacrificing the bottom end. I have a 3s already that has been built up quite a bit, however I dont want to screw with my baby! I get Silvias for that!! Thanks for ....."helping me" :smile: and I hope you guys can figure out where the hell to get fiberglass or carbon fiber t-tops for that hardtop look with the t-top option. - Seriously, if you know where to get these, tell me.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=138044&highlight=carbon+fiber+t-tops

That was the group buy for the carbon fiber t-tops. I am sure if you contact them directly you can get a set. (found it with the search ;) )

The search button is at the top of the page right underneath where it say's "Welcome, SlideAlliance." and it's inbetween "New Posts" and "Quick Links".

I really think you should try piecing together a turbo kit because the Burien kit is quite pricey.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
qwik_MR2_5sfte said:
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=138044&highlight=carbon+fiber+t-tops

That was the group buy for the carbon fiber t-tops. I am sure if you contact them directly you can get a set. (found it with the search ;) )

The search button is at the top of the page right underneath where it say's "Welcome, SlideAlliance." and it's inbetween "New Posts" and "Quick Links".

I really think you should try piecing together a turbo kit because the Burien kit is quite pricey.
Right on thanks a lot, I have been looking for those carbon t-tops just so I can do a carbon stripe down the car. I found hood, trunk, wing, engine cover, etc, but that was the one thing I needed to do it. Thanks about the search thing too, I didnt ever notice that before.

As far as peicing together a turbo kit, is that what you did? Would I just get turbo and manifold, downpipe, bov, bigger injectors and fuel pump, boost controller, fuel controller, intercooler and piping, piggy back ecu? and what else? I have enough money for the burien kit, however I want to know if there is an alternate solution in which I could use exactly what components I wanted. If you have a setup and a way to get the parts, let me know.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
ADent55 said:
Itztitz (no longer contributing to the board) and another member reverse engineered the original Burien kit.
Where did you hear this? I am skeptical to believe it unless Aaron or Jim come forward to verify your story. Here is a link to the burien kit:

http://www.poweredbytoyota.com/ssfeturbo.html

As you can see it uses a TD06, 360cc injectors and a custom adapter and downpipe not the ct-26 turbo, 315cc injectors and 3sgte downpipe that Itztitz used. It's a turbo just like any other and anyone who knows anything about building and tuning turbo cars can build a kit. It is rediculous to think that someone using a 2 bar MAP sensor and larger injectors to compensate for fuel is somehow copying someone else. People were doing this long before Burien. So if Itztitz reverse engineered and copied Burien's kit then Burien did the same to Toyota's and hundreds of others before. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
I meant no insult by it -in fact, I've always been in awe of Aaron and Jim's pioneering work, and was very saddened when HME went out of business. Aaron made great headers, and I followed Jim's diagrams when I installed my s-afc (a unit not designed for the 5sfe). They deserve a lot of credit, and may not be recognized for thier contributions because a lot of their work is on the old board.

The original Burien kit used a ct-26, as I recall, because at the time I was going to buy one but they ran out of manifolds and had a 2 or 3 month wait for them, and I remember the kit specified it was a ct-26. Somewhere along the line Burien aparently switched to the td-06 from the ct-26.

Anyway, using the turbo map sensor and Supra injectors is an elegant solution. If I am in error about the reverse engineering, I will apologize, but the point is that Burien came up with the idea first, whether it was independently discovered by Aaron or not, and I was trying to give Burien credit for what they have done, too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.