MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO have any of you n/a guys really notice the main impact of the x brace on ur car? Just when I was tightening mine on, I already felt the amount of pressure it was putting against my car's chassis.I literally had to wiggle the brace bolt hole around the bolt to fit it, b/c my chassis seemed 1mm too narrow to drop the xbrace in perfectly.

Just curious to hear what you guys have to say. I wont be able to drive my car for maybe another week since the interior is apart and I dont want to move the car. Just want to know what to expect or look for. I mean its a cheap mod, so I assume not much, but still would like to know :)

-Aaron :)

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
i have been worndering this as well, does the stock X really make a big differnce at all?

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
i dont know about the stock braces (except the stock front "brace", which is worthless).. but aftermarket braces make a difference that you can feel.. the rear brace gives a more stable feeling, and the front brace makes steering feel a little more direct..

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
the bars in comparison to aftermarket ones are extremely thin. They don't seem to make a difference on or off the car. I upgraded to Cusco bars and they definitely made a difference. Steering is definitely more direct and no more creeky sounds coming from the roof. I had the stock bars in addition to the Cusco bars but decided to take the stock ones off because too much vibration was being transferred into the cabin causing annoying rattles.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I didn't really notice any difference after I put the stock Turbo brace on my car. You might as well just go aftermarket if you want a rear strut tower brace and don't already have one. I'll probably upgrade to TRD front and rear at some point.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I like the TRD one...very nice looking. Not sure where to get it. I'd imagine it would make the car feel a little more solid in the turns...

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I just got my TRD brace off ebay brand new^^

·
Registered
746 Posts
I put the OE Turbo X-brace on my originally NA SW, and all I could tell was it make whole bunch more noise, with all the squeaking and rattling....if I was keeping it I'd toss that X-brace.....

·
1994 SMG N/A
3,197 Posts
I put the stock X-brace on mine and torqued it down to the specs in my manual and it never made a sound. Maybe it's because mine is a hardtop? There's hardly a difference with it on or off but it is noticeable. It's just a tad bit more stable in the rear.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
the TRD front brace is definately noticeable. i did a couple of feel test with stock, non and then the TRD fronts. better response and somewhat more stable. i also have the trd rears but didn't play around to much with it. with front and rear bars the car is definately sportier.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Put the factory rear brace on my NA and could'nt tell much of a differnce if any. The Trd braces are deffinatly the way to go since they are 3 point in the front and four point in the rear. And they are strong well made parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts