MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone hates the 3SFE but I have to say it's a good reliable motor. Mildly tuned and compression is low stock. I have one in my '88 Camry and want to put a mild (~6 psi) turbo kit on it using a 3sgte manifold. Would I need to do anything else (AFM mods, injectors, FPR, etc) to do this? Is it a retarded idea? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
suprafly1986 said:
I know everyone hates the 3SFE but I have to say it's a good reliable motor. Mildly tuned and compression is low stock. I have one in my '88 Camry and want to put a mild (~6 psi) turbo kit on it using a 3sgte manifold. Would I need to do anything else (AFM mods, injectors, FPR, etc) to do this? Is it a retarded idea? Thanks for the help.
I think that if you just want to toy around with the camry, then SURE why not? However, if you have an MR2 sitting around, I'll have to say that the investment could be better off towards the 2.
About your question, plan a decent budget...(I did one on a civic w/ an est. budget of 1500 max). Then look into possible turbos: T25 (kinda small, but effiecient at 6psi), TD04, T28, and or try the 3SGTE -->CT26(i think it'll work). Look for an intercooler, it doesn't have to be big 28x7x2. Several U-bend, straight, whatever metal pipings w/ silicone couplers. A fuel pressure regulator, unless you're going for Uberdata-type tuning. Oil feed & return line. You'll need to drill a return oil bung on your oil pan. It would be good to upgrade your fuel pump, filter, and injectors. You should no longer use Fram filters (if that was the previous case since they tend to clog)...convert to synthetic oil, make sure you have a boost gauge, then a boost gauge controller...and if I left out any other big things, everyone else are welcome to add in comments. If you're still up for it, it'd be fun. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. So you're saying I would NEED a rising rate FPR & injectors even at 6-7 psi of boost?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, a fuel pressure regulator would be a great upgrade (get the one with the gauges, so that you'll know where stock setting and tuning setting's at)...I never got around to purchase one for the old civic, but o'well, it's out of my hands now. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how about after market injectors? I think the stock ones are only 200cc. Could i use 7mGE injectors?

·
Registered
79 Posts
After market injectors? only if it's within your budget. Personally, I'll realize that it's still a camry, so a mild upgrade (higher than stock) would be preferrable. what are the 7MGE injectors flowing at anyways?....i heard that using those non-turbo injectors could be a good option (they come in light green top)...just hope the price doesn't kill. post some pics if you're starting it already.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So mk3 supra injectors would work. I think they are 315cc. But are they necessary for 6-8 psi?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I suppose you could wait on it, but hopefully you'll upgrade them as you're tuning your car. I never upgraded the injectors for my old civic, but it was always on my mind. don't forget, if this is going to be a custom made project, you may need flanges to adapt with your pipings..especially from the manifold to the turbo, and downpipe to the catalytic converter (and gaskets too).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts