MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I’ve been a proud owner of a 1985 MR2 since 2019. Due to the pandemic I’ve been unable to refurbish her and quite frankly I have no idea where to start. I bought a new clutch for her and an emergency break cable. Her chassis is pretty rusted and there’s a hole in the floor below the clutch pedal. I’m a college student so I’m trying to do this by myself and with the help of some family and friends. They’ve all tried to tell me to sell her but I really don’t want to. I’m open to encouragement and any suggestions!!!
Thank you :)

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,897 Posts
Her chassis is pretty rusted and there’s a hole in the floor below the clutch pedal.
I'll encourage you to sell her to someone that will part her out. Then, if you really like MR2s, take your time to find a non-rusted MR2 to start your restoration project on. The new parts you have on hand will likely be needed no matter what car you start with, so wont go to waste.

Use the classifieds here, CraigsList, maybe even FB marketplace.

·
Registered
AW11b - 4AGE - C161 6speed trans
69 Posts
A car that needs welding is not the best when you're a student. These cars consume time and money.
My AW11 only had some rust in the wheelwells. I've started restoring in december 2019 and only have it in primer for a week now. Note that this is not on a student budget, and with an average of a days work a week!
So if you don't have welding experience yourself, I would look for a better car.
I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but it is my true opinion.

·
Premium Member
91T 4thGen Swap
636 Posts
I'm currently stripping and scrapping an 85 and can say they seem to rust out a fair amount more than the 86+ ones. Especially in the floor. This has previously been repaired.
Wood Metal Ceiling Machine Stain

There is similar repair on passenger side as well. Whomever did the work didn't bother painting and/or sealing up the work they did and the rust just started all over.

If you are able to drive it as is, do so and try to find one in better shape to restore then use the best of parts from both and sell off what is left or make a track car.

Bashing and welding body panels isn't something I would advise jumping into unless you have the dedicated space for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts