MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having problems with this nut from the thermostat.. any suggestions?

It is completely rounded and seized.
I've tried an extractor, vice grips, an exorcism and the power of positive thinking and nothing seems to budge it!
What else can I do?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
1. throw some heat at it with a torch... CAREFULLY.

2. hammer the next size down socket onto it (metric or standard, does NOT matter). i mean hammer that sucker on there really tight.

3. if you cant hammer one on there, use a dremel or another rotary tool and grind its sides down a little to re-shape it, and then hammer a socket onto it

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
umm.... i dunno if that pen torch would have quite enough heat, but you could try it. you can buy inexpensive propane torches almost anywhere (home depot, probably harbor freight, ACE hardware, etc). you dont need any solder....

before you run out to the store, just try hammering the next size down socket onto the nut. find one that doesnt quite go on there, but ALMOST does. it might hafta be a standard one.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
man go to advance auto parts...if u have one in ur area....and buy that little kit that has sockets made especially for stripped bolt heads.... cost me 20 bucks.

these are special sockets that have teeth on them and u have to hammer it on to the bolt and they only have teeth going the way that u need to open the bolt.

it will get it...i used them on some rusted and reallllly mssed up bolts on a blown turbo charger...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
yeah thats very true...!

get those vise grips on reallllll good...put all ur might into it and u should get it....them vise grips get almost everything out.....they even work on reall tight inner tie rods...they HAVE to work on that little 10 mm bolt.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
you can got to sears get those strip bolt kit. use the socket on the kit that is about as small as that bolt hammer it on tight and wrench it of. worked for me tons of times.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
yea but with the dremel atlest makesure your going to cu it off completely otherwise it'll end up fusing the two peaces together.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, Looks like I cant hammer a socket on to it or the extractor bit because there is not enough room.
I tried to heat and cool it with a propane torch but no good!

I guess I'll have to remove the engine to get to the bolt... and if I'm going to remove the engine I might as well just save up for a new one (engine) I guess I'm riding the bus for a couple of months..... Does anybody have any other ideas or am I going to have to garage my 2 till I can save up for another engine. (since I was planning to do a swap this summer anyway and what is the point of dropping the engine then 3 months later doing it again?)

Thanks for the advice and help everyone.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.