MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll, here's a rundown of what's happening:

I drive a 91 n/a at and it has roughly 246k on it. My car has this problem where the engine misses while on load, almost to the point that you can feel it decelerating more than accelerating. It occurs around 2000rpms and sometimes while under load around 4k, and is having a detrimental effect on my mileage and the overall engine performance. B4 inspecting the spark plugs, I changed the distributor cap, rotor, (not wires), plugs, oil, and fuel filter. Upon inspection of the spark plugs (both with the old set and new set of spark plugs), there was a coat of fresh oil all over the electrode and the threads. After searching on the board, I tried resealing the spark plug tubes (after removal from the head) with some rtv, but the problem still occurs. Any ideas on what might be causing this problem?

--E

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
I've been having similar problems on my '92 N/A A/T. The difference is that mine has gotten to the point where it misses at idle. Once I get over 3-4K, it runs great, but at low RPM it sucks. Especially from a stop, where it misses so much that I can barely get the thing to move sometimes. I'm going to replace my ignition coil to see if that helps out at all. Of course, I still have to figure out where it is on the '92 (it's bolted to the firewall on my '93, but there's no fifth wire coming off the dizzy cap on my '92). Plus, the coil isn't exactly cheap. :(

·
MR Rules....
731 Posts
While ur repalcing the coil replace the condenser assy also, sometimes they melt" when they go bad and cause the coil to fail. I would also replace the plug wires, they have a habbit of firing through the shell inside the plug tubes when they get old and high mileage. ;)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello again,

I haven't checked the coil or MAP sensor. How would I go about either? I should also note that the valve cover gasket and the spark plug ones were changed out as well.

Also, this issue does not occur when the engine is cold, only when the engine has warmed up to operating temp.

I spoke with a friend about this and they suggested changing the transmission fluid / filter (auto); any thoughts to that? Also, I haven't checked the spark plugs again to see if there's still oil on them but I'll try to check them soon just to make sure it is / isn't that again. If there is still oil on them (after resealing the tubes), any ideas on what it might be?

Thanks and I'll try to post up after I do some checking. Late.

--E

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
I had my problem with both my old transmission and my new transmission. Swapping the filter didn't do anything noticable. You can try it though. :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
fosley said:
I've been having similar problems on my '92 N/A A/T. The difference is that mine has gotten to the point where it misses at idle. Once I get over 3-4K, it runs great, but at low RPM it sucks. Especially from a stop, where it misses so much that I can barely get the thing to move sometimes. I'm going to replace my ignition coil to see if that helps out at all. Of course, I still have to figure out where it is on the '92 (it's bolted to the firewall on my '93, but there's no fifth wire coming off the dizzy cap on my '92). Plus, the coil isn't exactly cheap. :(

Its likely the dizzy itself. i had roughly the same problem as you and basically the dizzy gear wouldnt make contact with the engine to spin the ____er up appropriately until after the engine was either warm or above 4k. It has to do with the dizzy being out of phase with the cams.

BC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts