MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I <3 E85
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an MR2 in the for-sale section that I'm interested in -- I've been talking to the seller, and I'm planning on purchasing it.

However, it's in NH at the moment -- he's able to tow it to NC, but it looks like it'll cost almost $500 just for a flatbed trailer rental. While I can afford the car, the trailer cost, combined with tax/title/gas, will almost double the price of the car..

I'd consider flying to NH and driving it back, which would probably save me a LOT...but since I'm in school full time, I'm unable to do so until the semester ends. If I were to go on spring break, I'd have to drive an MR car with summer tires on snow..which would suck -- and I'll be desparately needed at work as well.

Any suggestions, other than pray that the car is still there by summer and just fly up and drive it back down?

S

·
0 Posts
www.hurstautotransport.com I've shipped 4 MR2s now. You can do a quote on their site, which in your case will be $795, and they have about the best deal running. By the time you fly up, drive down, buy food and gas, and assuming you don't get any tickets, and not counting the time, you can't get the car to you any cheaper than having it shipped. When buying an MR2 that I like, I've just accepted that part of the price of the car will be shipping fees. Good luck.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If he can get it to NC, see if he can get it on the autotrain in Lorton, VA?
www.amtrak.com I checked, and it looks like it would cost $99 one way. the only problem I saw was that the require 4 inches of ground clearance, could be tight with a 2.
Just a thought.
T.

·
I <3 E85
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas!

After about half an hour of this running through my mind, I remembered that my uncle lives three hours away from this car..and he usually has a few extra cars kicking around, so he has plenty of space. I'll see if I can get the seller to drive it up to his place for $50 or so..my uncle can pay for it and store it until I can fly up after the spring semester ends.

I save money on shipping, the seller doesn't have to hassle with a trailer..and he gets a fast sale, with no worries of in-transit damage (except moose...)..and I get to hang out with my uncle when I pick it up. :)

Thanks again guys -- didn't expect much of a response after midnight.. *thumbsup* to you all!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts