MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

1993 MR2 Base model with rear spoiler.

Trunk balancer no longer works (won't stay open/really heavy to lift) Toyota ID's the part as 6455-017040. Have tried to source OEM with no luck (US parts suppliers Sunnyside parts barn etc) show in stock but then cancel order noting the part is discontinued.

Have searched the forums and seen earlier forum threads but the options listed appear to be no applicable given the few years that have passed.

Anyone have some current (2017) options, aside from scouring junk yards. IE does anyone rebuild the part?

Located in Vancouver, Canada but can ship to US address as well.
Also not a mechanic, so I can get part then try and locate someone to install. :smile2:
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,396 Posts
Jeez, I ordered that part just 4 years ago.

You've tried 64550-17040, but did you try 64550-17041 or 64550-17030? The 17030 part is for the lid sans spoiler (better than nothing if available).

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
As RePete said there are a couple different options. You could always try asking in the BCMR2 owners group to see if anyone here has one, or you can Call Marc and see what he can get. He's a local MR2 owner and also works as a parts guy at Jim Pattison Toyota Surrey.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks RePete & Immorality.

Calling the local Toyota parts dealership (downtown Van location) was one of my first steps but I'll give Marc a shout at the Surrey location.
I am member of the BCMR2, and did scan through there but it's a pretty quiet forum.

I had asked about 64550-17041 and was told it also was not available. I figured Part 64550-17030 (for non spoiler trunks) was a no go given the heft of the trunk with spoiler. If I get no joy with a rebuild, or sourcing a correct version I may revisit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts