MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of oldschool TRD Race coil springs from 1993. I don't think they have been available for some time. They are linear rate springs. I am not sure of spring rate or how much they drop the car. They only have a couple thousand miles on them. If anyone has a set of ST springs that is willing to trade, let me know. I know this probably isn't the right spot, but it isn't a WTB or WTS so here it is. Springs were origonally listed as Race springs. I think these are the TRD Japan springs that appear time to time, but not positive.

·
Registered
605 Posts
You did have them mounted for a couple of thousand miles? If so any pics of the springs on your car to have a rough estimate on how much they dropped? I might be interessted in buying them, I do not have some springs to trade in unless you also want some original ones :p

Ewoud | www.aw11.tk

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Springs were on the car in 1993. No pictures available. I can tell you that with 185/60-14s on the front and 195/60-14s on the back, I could get mikes fingers between the tires and the fenders and that's about it. I do not need stock springs. I would rathe swap, but might sell if I can find a set of ST springs locally. You are kinda far away. I probably wouldn't be able to get enough money to buy new sorings if I sell, that's why I was hoping to trade. Springs are streetable, but I think they would probably would great for an autocross or track car for someone that doesn't have the budget for coil overs. I will let you know if I decide to sell.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, a couple of thousand miles. I got them new from TRD with the matching struts. I think the struts were made by KYB. Car road so stiff, that I took the springs off of car thinking that they were the problem. Turned out that with the stock springs and TRD struts, the car was still extremely stiff. I am still using the front struts believe it or not. They were not used for about 6 years, but they are quite a bit stiffer than the struts that are like 1.5 years old.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To both of you, make an offer. yigglypuff, where are you.
I couldn't even tell you what I paid for them it has been so long. If I can dig up the receipt I'll post the purchase price.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I saw that a new set of ST springs is going for $205,- shipped at Twosrus, so I if you want to sell it and be able to buy new ones the price for you TRDset is way to high for me and I'm out ;)

Shipping rate to me would be $50,- for a 11pounds box or almost $100,- for an 22pounds box, I have no Idea what the TRD springs weigh exactly, but I guess it's somewhere between those 2 weights....

Ewoud | www.aw11.tk

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's probably not worth you buying and having them shipped. I was hoping to work a deal with someone pretty close mainly b/c of the weight issue. The problem is that I know I wobn't be able to sell for enough to get new ST springs. That is why I was hoping to do a swap. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yo boy! I got a set of ST Springs I will trade.

But I must know the spring rates of the TRDs. If you can answer me that question and the numbers are to my liking, a trade is in order.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
First where u at? Second I have no clue about the spring rates. Read the posts, they are from 1993 and are the oldschool "Race Springs" They only have a couple thousand miles on them at most. Other than that, that is the only info I can give, I do not have the old catalog anymore or the receipt. They were purchaced with the matching struts at the time. Struts were really stiff. They are currently 90 mile from me at my Father-in-laws house. I will be there this weekent. I will bring them home so I can get some pics. Someone out there might be able to dig up some info. Maybe one of the guys that work at dealers. I wish I knew myself.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Info I got from TRD USA is front-2.5kg, rear-4.9kg. Get out the calculator and comversion table.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I believe that those rates are for the progressive springs that TRD currently supplies. The older "race springs" are linear and a bit more agressive

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All I know is that when I sent TRD the info, I said that they were "RACE" springs from 1993 and that is what they sent.

Envy 2 things. Where are you and what do you plan on doing with the springs. Are you doing a track or autox car?

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just sent another email to TRD. I think I found the part#s. I am hoping they can verify the rates and I asked if they could put them in lbs/sq in.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haven't heard back from TRD yet as far as lbs/sq.in.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Envy, you said you have ST springs right. I still want to trade. How do you suggest we do this. Ican't let mine go without knowing. Do you have pics of yours? I am going to try to get pics of mine up soon. They have a little surface rust, but in no way bad. I will be cleaning them up real soon. Rust is from sitting for so long. TRD just painted them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1kg~~2.20lb, 1in ~~ 25.4mm

2.5kg/mm*2.20lb/kg*25.4mm/in= ~140lb/in
4.9kg/mm*2.20lb/kg*25.4mm/in= ~270lb/in

so about 140/270 lb/in front to rear......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts