MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TRD rear strut bar installation

Just a quick question. How big are the bolts that hold the strut tower bar to the rear firewall? Just eyeballing it, I would say 14mm (and because that seems like the most popular size bolt on the MR2). Would I need to buy the nuts too? Anything else I should know?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
yes it is a 14mm bolt, you can reuse the stock nuts on the strut mounts. Some people might say that you should life your car up to install it, but that's totally up to you.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
supraskyguy said:
Some people might say that you should life your car up to install it, but that's totally up to you.
Why is that?

Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Probably just for looks. If you get a new shiney strut bar, maybe some new shiney bolts to go with it? :p As long as your bolts are stripped, just keep them.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing is, there are no bolts there (on the firewall). I will try putting it on when the garage gets cleaned out and I can have some light.

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
The firewall end has threaded brackets on it, no nut required, just thread the bolt into the bracket on the firewall. If you dont have the brackets then I dont know what to tell you.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^ lol, i did. I didn't know if there were supposed to be any there or not anyway. I figured since none came with my strut tower bar. I guess its more screws that the previous owner screwed me out of:lol: I have had to replace many bolts and things and it gets frustrating.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
uhm so they are 14mm i bought brand new ones from toyota and they dont fit at all in one side and the other it went in half way till the nut snap so now i got the screw and bolt just stuck hanging in there

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
luisw20 said:
uhm so they are 14mm i bought brand new ones from toyota and they dont fit at all in one side and the other it went in half way till the nut snap so now i got the screw and bolt just stuck hanging in there
The TRD bar is a challenge to install since it acts as a complete truss. Any misalignment of your chassis due to age, accidents, etc will make the bolts not line up with the mounting points.

I cross threaded one of my firewall anchors the first time I tried to install a bar.

You may have to elongate one of the strut top holes to make everything fit.

Also, if you chassis is an NA, it never came with firewall bolts.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I believe it is a standard M10x1.25. You can get the OEM bolts from the Toyota dealer.

If you have the timeserts or heli-coil for the repair, it can be used in a number of other locations that are susceptible to x-thread or stripping (exhaust mani head, tranny front motor mount, etc...)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
traffic said:
The TRD bar is a challenge to install since it acts as a complete truss. Any misalignment of your chassis due to age, accidents, etc will make the bolts not line up with the mounting points.

I cross threaded one of my firewall anchors the first time I tried to install a bar.

You may have to elongate one of the strut top holes to make everything fit.

Also, if you chassis is an NA, it never came with firewall bolts.
actually i have an na and mines does have the fire wall bolts also when i was trying to put the bolts i try putting them without the bar

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Also, if you chassis is an NA, it never came with firewall bolts
WRONG, the strut came on cars with the targa tops to cross brace the body. Many owners install a stiffer brace or connect the strut towers with an additional brace (front & rear). I made my own and it works well but with the lack of flexibility I noticed it drove a bit harder through the corners on the track.

Jim

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Wrong aswell! All export NA MR2 came with the factory X-brace but in the United States all of our NA models did not receive the factory brace and accompanying bolts. But we do have the holes in which to mount them.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Sorry the X brace was designed specifically for bracing the cars with targa tops. Some countries may have required additional bracing and/or they were included as matter of course even though they were not required. I can point you to some website info if you want to read on.

Jim

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Well in America they didn't follow that logic. No NA exported to the United States came with the X brace from factory even if it was built as a T-Top. All Turbo's exported here came with the X-brace aswell regardless of top, hard, sun, or T.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
No NA exported to the United States came with the X brace from factory even if it was built as a T-Top
Probably off the topic somewhat but I wonder if they installed a stiffner plate on the A piller support for T-tops. This was another addition to help with the chassis rigidity.

Jim

1 - 20 of 26 Posts