MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm trying to source the full kit of bushings from TRD but keep hitting snags. Any leads on where I can find these?

I'm trying to avoid Prothane/alernatives due to NVH, but will go that route if I have to.

-TC

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I respect you for not capitulating to those Prothane bushings - way too harsh!

Unfortunately in North America, TRD bushings sold new haven't been available in at least 7 years. That's about the same time the rest of the TRD lot vanished for the SW20 (like the sway bars, strut braces & lowering springs). You may be able to source a set NIB on eBay or something. You can always try Europe as well, the SW20 was there until '99.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know.

I’ve checked japanparts, nengun, and Uk eBay to no avail. Without spending hours making accounts for dead/dying forums - any other suggestions?

I guess power flex makes a set in black which I may wind up with, I just would prefer something designed for a stock chassis - I won’t be tracking this car much.

-TC

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
TBH I found my Prothane bushes the same as the OEM but gave the car way more response to driver input. The only thing that has more NVH is my engine mount inserts at idle.
You can find TRD bush sets but you need to look in the right places and have a massive budget. The Prothanes are extremely cheap even though I paid more in shipping than the product itself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got prothane + whiteline + groupN parts in my swapped GC8. They work, I was just hoping for OEM.

-TC

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
...any other suggestions?...
Have you considered researching if the Camry's bushings of that era fit? Suspension is similar. Probably a long shot considering there's a separate set of bushings for the '91-'92 and the '93+, but it might be worth looking at if you have the resources.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
TRD is probably very similar to the Prothane stuff. Stiffer than OEM so would probably produce more NVH.

There are 3 sets of front strut bar bushing for sale right now but they cost as much as a full set of Prothane. So 2 bushes for $100USD vs a full kit for $85 USD.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
...TRD is probably very similar to the Prothane stuff...
Trust me, they're not. I've had lots of experience w/ all 3 bushing sets and there is a marked difference.

It's true, TRDs are stiffer than the OEM set but not by a whole lot, maybe a step or two up - they're still streetable which puts them into a highly coveted position. The secret being they are still made mostly of natural rubber and bring along their superior insulation attributes. And yes, they are a pain to install as they have to be pressed in (just like the original bushings).

The Prothane bushings are in another direction. They have different physical properties which tend to transmit the cruder chassis vibrations into the cabin for a rather unpleasant experience. They're fine for track and a weekend car. But for street, they're just not sophisticated enough to be firm AND comfortable like the TRD set. That's why they're inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
they are all discontinued as mentioned, you can find them via part numbers sometimes. there's a couple front bushings on yahoo japan that are new old stock but putting together a full kit will take years (ask me how i know).

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
My mistake! I saw TRD and assumed engine mounts. I didn't know TRD offered suspension bushings.
No worries i wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something :D back in the day, TRD offered just about every kinda upgrade. Even door strikers...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts