MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put a V8 in my project car, but want to use the stock S54 MKII trans. Is there a small Toyota V8 that can be adapted up transverse to fit in there? I remember seeing a pic of someone fitting one in, but did not see anything else on it?
Troy

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think with a V8 torque you will be asking too much of the S54 gearbox. Switch to an E153 turbo gearbox and shafts and you stand a chance.

The engine of choice (from my point of view) would not be from a Toyota though.

It would be this one.....

I needn't tell you what that is... :) ... My friend was lucky enough to find the ONLY Right Hand Drive model in existence, built for the Tokyo motor show or something. So we have one here in the UK ready to slot into a mk3. The beauty of this ugly car is....

This little gem...

3.4 Litre V8 Transversely mounted. 340hp with the emissions garbage removed.
Best of all - Ford didn't make it .... Yamaha did !!! So kind of fitting don't you think?

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 3.4 v8 would be sick.

I thought I saw something like a 4.7l put in. What is the smallest Toyota v8 produced that we can get at a junk yard? I was thinking like a 1uz.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The 1UZ will fit transverse in a mk1 because the suspension towers are 2" further apart. But it is very VERY tight (thats was using an E153 gearbox with custom adapter plate). I do not believe the car ever turned a wheel.

In a mk2 the transverse 1UZ will not fit - let alone a 3UZ which is the same engine with vvti to add to the length. In all seriousness, if i wanted a transverse V8 i would start with a v8 that is mounted transversely to begin with.

One other i can think of is the 4.4 v8 in the Volvo XC90...

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a very modified MR2 chassis so there is not room to mount the engine and trans that way. It needs to be transverse. I already have a 1mz in there and was just thinking it would be really good to put a 1uz in there if it would fit. I could make the adapter plate or cut and weld to the stock bellhousing to get that to work. There just is not a lot of room. I even though about moving the engine/trans to the left about 2", shorter the drivers axle (with small susp movement it should work), lengthen the pass axle, make some new mounts and see it it would work. So that is an idea for the future, but at 28" long that is about 8" longer than a V6 and a lot to deal wtih in there. I would almost need to make inboard suspension up top to make it work, which would add more coolness factor, but more work.

·
engineer4me
2,730 Posts
Troymx576 said:
A 3.4 v8 would be sick.

I thought I saw something like a 4.7l put in. What is the smallest Toyota v8 produced that we can get at a junk yard? I was thinking like a 1uz.
lowboost had an adapter plate made for the 1UZ->E153 a long time ago: http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=193652

I think he had a build thread but with the board only allowing searches every 60 seconds I'm not going to try and find it. He does say in his FS thread that he thought it would need strut tower modification, and frame rail modification. I don't think the passenger side frame rail would be that big of an issue, just mirror the drivers side where it's clearanced for the transmission.

I don;t know how difficult it would be to reduce the size of everything on the front of a 1UZ. You'd sacrifice timing belt life, but if you cut it in half and the pulleys to match, you could get clearance there. Of course that is a lot of time and money to get a motor in there that isn't exactly mind blowing in the output department.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to stick with the 1mz for now and if I want more I will do a 1mz/3mz hybrid. This will only weight like 1800lbs so it should feel really fast as is.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
You guys are saying almost exactly what we talked about back in 2007.

We discussed the Taurus SHO v8
we looked at the Volvo 4.4
We talked about the 1UZFE (especially how its just too long to mount transverse in the MR2).
I really looked hard at the Audi V8. I even bought one.

we even talked about the W8 and the W12

The best option with the least amount of modifications is the Northstar + GM F40 6 speed.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
This diagram I made a zillion years ago should help.

What you want is and Engine + Trans that, after they are put together (including any adapter plates between them), have an overall measurement of 37" or less.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Out of interest Chris; can you remember the length of the SHO?
We both know the 1UZ is an impossibility without major structural work.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I should mention that though my diagram above implies the Audi V8 would fit, it had other issues too major to overcome. Its main problem was fundamental to its design: it was never meant to be mounted transverse. It has too much stuff in the way of the jackshaft, and it has a bellhousing bolt pattern totally incompatible with the F40 trans, even with an adaptor plate. Also, the starter is engine mounted, and in the way.

Simply put, the EASIEST (but not to be mistaken for "easy") way to put a transverse V8 into the MR2 with a manual trans is the Northstar + GM F40 6 speed.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
cbulen said:
As bill strong has said in the past, the v8 is a manly motor.
Manly, yes, but I like it too.

If you wine-and-cheesers will pardon the intrusion from a MkI owner, are you suggesting that there is more room... ah, you know what, never mind, I guess the search function is there for a reason. Carry on.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
dgh938peg said:
I think with a V8 torque you will be asking too much of the S54 gearbox. Switch to an E153 turbo gearbox and shafts and you stand a chance.

The engine of choice (from my point of view) would not be from a Toyota though.

3.4 Litre V8 Transversely mounted. 340hp with the emissions garbage removed.
Best of all - Ford didn't make it .... Yamaha did !!! So kind of fitting don't you think?

Actually the v8 is more ford than Yamaha. The v6 are mostly Yamaha.

Be sure you weld the cam gears to the cams.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
4.3L Chevy V6 (pretty much a 350 missing two cylinders) would be a nasty swap. I know this is the V8 section but this little engine will pretty much destroy all V8's on this section except for the LS4 swap going on right now. They sell complete aluminum heads, cams, pistons, rods, intake manifolds, etc. 500hp N/A and 1200+ turbo no problem.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
This diagram I made a zillion years ago should help.

What you want is and Engine + Trans that, after they are put together (including any adapter plates between them), have an overall measurement of 37" or less.
We got a winner. The perfect combo would be the LS4 engine with the F40 transmission. If you are willing to cut the frame (close to the tranny) you can use the E153 with the LS4 as well. The LS4 is very compact measuring an outstanding 23.25 inches, if we use it with the F40 which measures 14.30 inches that means both combine would come up to be 37.55”
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?6,37035,page=3

1 - 20 of 34 Posts