MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I bought a 1991 NA the previous owner told me it won’t go into fifth gear and it bounces whenever I try to shift into first, My dad said I should just trade out the transmission for something better and I was wondering if I could swap out the Mark 3s transmission with the mark 2s
Could anybody help with this ?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Not an easy swap to change to the C series boxes. They don't bolt up.

Best thing to do is check your bushes, they sound like the problem here. Have a search around for specifics about what bushes and how to replace them. If your gear stick move a lot before making it change gears then this is your issue.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Issues you will have in trying to do this Bolt pattern for bell housing is wrong. There is no boss for the starter. All mounting points for linkages are wrong. Gear selection shaft is on the wrong side.

HOWEVER.... I don't know if anyone has ever tried this.... you could try taking the internals (input and output shaft assemblies with all gears, syncros, et cetera) out of a C56 and put them in your S54. It has been said that the internals are the same. The differential is known to be the same but just make sure you swap the ring gear. There is a very small chance this might work. A priori, there is no reason why it shouldn't. No guts, no glory, eh? Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts