MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody here got their ZE transmission rebuilt and/or upgraded here? Since the motor is out of the car AGAIN, I was thinking about getting my 2nd and 3rd grear Syncro problem fixed..

Any info would be helpful.

Shane

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
I am in the process of having mine rebuilt (will be finished this week). It is having all bearings and much more replaced. Expensive. Labor at a reputable shop is $650. Parts are $1250. I was think it would be labor plus about $50 bucks for just the sychros, but they recommended that the bearings (at about 110K miles) were almost completely gone (they did a tear down inspection to verify this). I plan on having the car for quite a while and the engine is strong so I went for it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had mine rebuilt when I was having the engine done. I had all of the bearings and synchroes replaced, and it feels awesome. The new synchroes you buy are the upgraded versions.
Was about $1300 (not including labor of pulling the tranny out) with a hook-up, but well worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
supermr2 said:
GEEZ......Price on a new one is barely over a grand straight from toyota.

:edit: Sorry price went up a bit since last I checked.

http://www.parts.com/index.cfm?action=goToStoreFront&sfid=213747&target=window
I talked with these guys over a year ago (before I put in a used transmission which is now spent) and they did a parts search all the way back to Japan. There are no more "new" SC transmissions anywhere, according to them.

Although, I see they haven't taken down the listing from their website.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I think a used levin tranny with the mod is the best bet. As most of the used engines coming over here nowadays have the E58 attached to the engine and most of them have the LSD.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Anyone know where/how much to get new E51 synchros? I'm gonna be putting my LSD in, and figured I'd replace them while I'm in there..

Brando

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
As I said in another tranny thread, Toyota synchro's for my 91 T were $18 a piece, as I recall. Edit: Just talked to the dealer and the E51 synchros are $35 to $45. If you're going to do this yourself I would be very interested in some pics etc? I just took a C-52 apart to see if I could possibly do my own in the future and it looks doable once you get past the confusing pics in the BGB and can find the right gear pullers, etc. Right now I'm stuck trying to find a 5th gear puller.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts