MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new and I am sure this has been covered but in my search of threads I could not find a couple of simple questions.

My car is an 85 and I have picked up a vibration in the shifter in 5th gear only. Here are my questions.

1. What year transmissions will go in my car with no modifications?

2. Am I better off just repairing my transmission? If so where do I get the parts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
any other MR2 N/A tranny between 85-89 will fit i believe, you would want to go for the later C52(i think) N/A transmissions that came out of the 87-87 cars, there a bit beefier, my 89s had a hard life(dont know but seems like it) and second and third gear synchros are crap, but thats not a common problem

try http://www.car-part.com, im most likely getting my tranny from there, since i kinda need the synchros for track driving(literally takes 3-4 seconds to downshift from 3rd to 2nd without grinding) and its just nice to have a proper working car

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would have to agree with Ottobon. But I have a question for ya, 85redmre2. Would you happen to live in southern california? Because if you do, just find a place called k. watanabe and have your tranny taken care of with them. They are good and have plenty of deals.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ottobon - Thanks for the info. I will take a look there.

kwikfox - I live in Alabama. My transmission works beautifully except for the vibration. I wish I could just get it rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Just look for another one on the boards here. You can find them also on ebay there a some quite frequently.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
My second gear makes a grind , I think it is syncro but not positive, it doesn't make the noise if i press brake and wait for the rpms to go back to 1500 to 2000, but its a tad annoying, usually people behind me in traffic seem to be slightly impatient because the car is slow to get going this way...

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Why press the Brake???Just double clutch it. Or wait for your rpm's to drop. Pressing the break while in neutral will not slow your engine down it will just slow the car.If you had an Automatic then yes it will slow the engine down. In my 2nd gear synchro since it's gone i just will double clutch and it will slide right in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts