MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey my mr2 has got a auto transmission an wen i put it in reverse it bogs and doesnt even reverse just sits still. and wen its in neutral it moves forward like another gear anyone got ideas wot is causing this??

·
Registered
717 Posts
As with any auto tranny, the gears are moved hydrolically, this means that there is a "valve room" thats how I call it :p dont know the techy name for it, that moves the tranny fluid in certain chambers causing pressure in diff spots, this is what ultimately moves the gears, from what you're describing it sounds like 1. The tranny fluid is low or 2. some seals in that "valve" room are gone and wont hold the pressure.

Hope this helps, auto trannies are relatively complicated, at least on the cars I've dealt with, you're better off trying to find a shop that deals with trannys if the fluid level looks ok.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ayaxr said:
As with any auto tranny, the gears are moved hydrolically, this means that there is a "valve room" thats how I call it :p dont know the techy name for it, that moves the tranny fluid in certain chambers causing pressure in diff spots, this is what ultimately moves the gears, from what you're describing it sounds like 1. The tranny fluid is low or 2. some seals in that "valve" room are gone and wont hold the pressure.

Hope this helps, auto trannies are relatively complicated, at least on the cars I've dealt with, you're better off trying to find a shop that deals with trannys if the fluid level looks ok.
ok thanks. woah i rang up a transmission place they said something about clutch plates welded together or something and it guna cost 2- 3000$ nz to fix be cheaper just to put a used transmission in.

·
Registered
717 Posts
They should be able to diagnose the issue before actually doing work on it, it shouldnt be that expensive. I suggest you try to find a reputable shop to get the diag done on it, then choose wether its worth it or not.

Glad the info helped.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mikeswickednick said:
i know how to fix it

put a 5spd in!
:D
haha yeh apart from that im paying my car off so i cant make it manual at the moment because its illegal to modify it while paying it off. when ive payd it off im guna do a 3sgte swap and hav it manual :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ayaxr said:
They should be able to diagnose the issue before actually doing work on it, it shouldnt be that expensive. I suggest you try to find a reputable shop to get the diag done on it, then choose wether its worth it or not.

Glad the info helped.
yup :). yes ive booked my car into a well known transmission place and when i rang up i explained what its doing and thats when he said about clutch plates welding together or sumthing and 2 - 3 thousand to fix so yeh lets hope he wrong and its not that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
o yeh i forgot when i bought my car which wasnt very long ago i got a two year mechanical warranty on it and up to 3,500$ in cover for each claim and only 250$ excess makes it easier to pay for to fix it :smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts