MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and come up with a couple different values for how much tranny fluid the 93+ LSD tranny requires.

My dilemma is this:
I purchased a brand new tranny w/LSD from Toyota.
It's installed and everything.
I went to fill it up with Redline MT90 (I bought 5 quarts to make sure I had enough).
After pumping in only about 3 1/4 (maybe slightly less) quarts it started running out the fill hole.

The BGB states it takes about 4.4 quarts, and HERE states it takes about 4.1.

It was almost completely level, MAYBE the front was about an inch lower.
Does Toyota ship the new tranny's with about a quart of fluid in them? Seems odd if they did I figured there'd only be some minor assembly lube in there.
I never checked the see if the tranny was indeed empty, as it was new and again I just figured there'd be only minor assembly lude in it.

Should I dump all the fluid and start over or after moving the car a little will I be able to add the rest?
Or am I fine?
Advice?

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
i put 3 in mine.. im not sure if it was enuf.. but i did put in 3.. are you sure that the BGB wasnt talking about the engine oil.. 4.4 sounds like a lil much..

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah page A-19 under transaxle, manual.

E153 4.2 liters/4.4 quarts/3.7 Imp. quarts. Transaxle oil E50 (08885-80206) or equivalent...

Well I'll check it again after a couple days, it was kinda cold in my shop and it seemed a little thick as I was pumping it, maybe I got ahead of it as I was pumping when it was almost full.

Nothing else I can drive it around the block and check it again.
I did find an older post about people only being able to get in about 3 quarts.

So I dunno, I guess I am being paranoid but its brand spanking new....

·
Premium Member
13,205 Posts
I would say try driving a short distance, and then see if you can add more. By short distance I mean down your driveway and back, just enough to get it pumped arround to everywhere its supposed to be. Its possible that some parts dont fill via gravity. I know its pretty much impossible to completly drain the tranny, so it makes sence there there would be places you cant get the fluid into by pouring.

·
Registered
379 Posts
when I filled mine, I put a funnel in that completely blocked the fill hole. I put in the amount that the BGB specified and it was way too much. You're fine.

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
I actually took off the reverse sensor and filled it from the top. That will allow you to put in 4.4 and if its 2 much it will just blow out from the top like the 3S-GE transmissions till it reaches the proper level.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
You will never be able to put 4 quarts into the tranny (without overfilling), even completely dry just rebuilt trannies only take 3.5 quarts.

With the LSD you also lose the volume of the diff, as it displaces that amount of fluid.

You can run the tranny "safely" with as little as 2 quarts, the tranny oil pump keeps the gears and bearings happy.

·
Registered
469 Posts
just wondering where i can get some redline mt-90? i have a 91na, will 4 quarts be enough? cuz i don't wanna end up with too much left since redline products are kinda expensive...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
orge1126 said:
just wondering where i can get some redline mt-90? i have a 91na, will 4 quarts be enough? cuz i don't wanna end up with too much left since redline products are kinda expensive...
I got mine at a local autoparts store called Baxters.
I would think any autoparts store that somewhat caters to the muscle/sports car crowd would carry it, otherwise you can order it from ATS for a resonable price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts