MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the fluid capacity on the MR2 T tranny? Stock 91. Also how do you change the fluid on this car, i just wnat to make sure no gadgets or anything for it

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
automatics I think generally take 4
manual can use 1 bottle of gear oil or less.. if you pour too much it will spill out.

i think lol, at least that's what people have been buying at the store.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
What I found interesting is that I drained my gen III tranny with it in the car, then took the tranny out and drained it on all sorts of different angles.. then put it back in the car, then drained it again.. And went-a-filling with redline lightweight shockproof and I didnt even get 4 quarts in! probably only 3.5 quarts tops. nowhere near 4.4

Maybe it was so thick that it took time to get in everywhere.. and I should be topping it up now that Ive run it for a while?

-Tristan

·
Registered
225 Posts
flupstar said:
What I found interesting is that I drained my gen III tranny with it in the car, then took the tranny out and drained it on all sorts of different angles.. then put it back in the car, then drained it again.. And went-a-filling with redline lightweight shockproof and I didnt even get 4 quarts in! probably only 3.5 quarts tops. nowhere near 4.4

Maybe it was so thick that it took time to get in everywhere.. and I should be topping it up now that Ive run it for a while?

-Tristan
The same exact thing happened with me and a 93+lsd, although I didn't take the tranny out. I ended up using 3.5 max and it started to pour out of the fill hole :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
convict said:
The same exact thing happened with me and a 93+lsd, although I didn't take the tranny out. I ended up using 3.5 max and it started to pour out of the fill hole :dontknow:
yeah Ive got a TRD LSD in mine. Oh well, at least Im not alone!

I have filled a 91 non LSD before with the same fluid and same draining process and I managed to get 4 quarts in. So its either something to do with the LSD or the gen III tranny.

Any experts wish to comment?

-Tristan

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Check the BGB sticky for the procedure. And isn't there something about making sure the fill plug comes out before pulling the drain plug? Just in case?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a question, how do you put the fluid in there? like a special pump or something? pics?

·
Registered
320 Posts
didnt wanna start a new thread on a much talked about topic but i have over 105,000 miles (at least) and dont know if previous owners ever changed tranny fluid in the 5spd.
is my best bet to do a complete flush?
and its true theres going to be more fluid this way than the 4 quarts you can leak out no?

actually can you even flush a manual tranny-
i have a notchiness and a grind in 2nd only. im up to my eyeballs in threads about synchromesh and gl5 and etc etc cant read anymore haha. would replacing my fluid with oem stuff do anything at all?

·
Registered
320 Posts
heh saw that one too =) thanks
well anyway i think im going to just change the fluids with a normal oem quality stuff. its over 105,000 miles who knows maybe i jus need some fresh juice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts