MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm trying to determine the right Toyota part number for the speedometer ring gear that is in the transmission which you can see when removing the VSS using a flashlight. It's the one that is in the trans (not the VSS).

Since I have a 1993 MR2 Turbo with factory E153 and LSD, I'm assuming it's the white ring I'm looking for vs the earlier blue ring gear.

Anyone know the right part number? I thought it could be #3348112040 but parts.toyota website says it's not a match.

· Registered
5 Posts
@DrTaco - what year is your MR2? USDM or JDM? I'm exploring some options :)
It’s a hodgepodge. ‘91 NA Chassis. Currently running Gen 4 3SGTE, stock S54 trans. I have a ‘90 E153 open diff that I’m trying to swap an (unknown year) JDM Toyota viscous LSD diff into. I got it all the way apart and ready for reassembly before running into the speedo gear issue.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It’s a hodgepodge. ‘91 NA Chassis. Currently running Gen 4 3SGTE, stock S54 trans. I have a ‘90 E153 open diff that I’m trying to swap an (unknown year) JDM Toyota viscous LSD diff into. I got it all the way apart and ready for reassembly before running into the speedo gear issue.
Is your cluster using electronic speedo or cable driven speedo from the VSS in the trans?

· Registered
2,188 Posts
Hmm I haven't seen that thread. I'll look for it. Thanks!
Oops sorry it was mr2oc not mr2 owners. Maybe this takes you there.

I checked it the link goes straight to the referenced thread.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oops sorry it was mr2oc not mr2 owners. Maybe this takes you there.

I checked it the link goes straight to the referenced thread.
Great - thanks. A lot of good work being done.

Since I have a 93 Turbo with ABS, I'm thinking of going with a different longterm solution:
  • Tap into rear driver side existing ABS
  • Use a Dakota Digital box to capture speed signal
  • Plug into existing purple wire in the trunk near the ECU which then feeds into entire wiring harness. This would mean it would use the existing purple wire right up to the dash cluster.
  • No need to drop trans, crack it open, install ring (if that is my issue), etc..I also do away with my newer VSS, etc.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great - thanks. A lot of good work being done.

Since I have a 93 Turbo with ABS, I'm thinking of going with a different longterm solution:
  • Tap into rear driver side existing ABS
  • Use a Dakota Digital box to capture speed signal
  • Plug into existing purple wire in the trunk near the ECU which then feeds into entire wiring harness. This would mean it would use the existing purple wire right up to the dash cluster.
  • No need to drop trans, crack it open, install ring (if that is my issue), etc..I also do away with my newer VSS, etc.
I've been doing some reading since it's winter and can't get MR2 on the road. I'm now leaning towards 3 options instead of tapping into ABS:

Option 1:
- Resolve OEM Speedo including potential ring gear in trans being the culprit since's I've addressed most other common issues (SPD wiring, ground, capacitors, etc). Cluster is out with a shop for final testing to ensure not an issue

Option 2:
  • Replace OEM VSS with Hall Effect SW20 speed sensor by Hux Racing
  • Intercept signal with Dakota Digital box to adjust output signal from Hux Racing into required type for MR2 Speedo
Note: I'm assuming I can replace the VSS wires going into white connector near ECU in trunk with Ground, Power, and SPD which feeds rest of car

Option 3:
- Install Dakota Digital GPS speedo device and tap direct into MR2 speed signal
Note: Same as option 2...I'm assuming I can replace the VSS wires going into white connect near ECU in trunk with Ground, Power, and SPD which feeds rest of car

I think each option has it merits and reviews for Dakota Digital seem to be pretty good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts