MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gen 2 jdm 3sgte with trans. My speed sensor is not working and I have 3 bad syncros. I'd like to buy a used trand with no issues or find rebuild parts but am not finding anything online.

What do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Why is the speed sensor not working? Is it the nylon gear?

If you have the funds you can buy a new trans with lsd in the US for $3,000.

Some rebuild parts are avail in the US for the 1993-1999 trans. The majority of remaining rebuild parts are avail from an importer.

If you have a 1991-1992 trans your rebuild prospects are not great.

You can always contact atsracing.net for rebuild availability and cost.

There are kits and instructions available to fit other trans to 3SGTE.

·
Premium Member
13,697 Posts
New E153's are not available from Toyota any more. Officially discontinued finally (yes, I know people were getting them new ~6 months ago and there have been off and on rumors that they were discontinued for years). Maybe it's possible they are intermittently available and will come back? But it seems unlikely.

I may be slightly biased, but I think the E351 is the best option for most people at this point. Details here: E351 Transmission Swap

·
Premium Member
13,697 Posts
I just rebuilt mine over this winter (2021-2022) and was able to source all of the bearings and syncros through Toyota (2nd, 3rd, 4th) although some did have pretty long wait times.
For a 91/92 transmission? Or a 93+? As far as I know 93 rebuild parts are available, but the 91/92 versions have been NLA for a few years now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts