MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a japspec tranny that has the shift linkage stuff on the opposite side of my stock e51. I was told that I can have it switched to the other side so it can work on my mr2. Would any tranny shop be able to do it? If anyone has any suggestions on where I can get this done please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You can see a writeup on what's involved in making such as swap here: http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/blacktopproject/day13/c56.html.
The article covers a c56 fwd tranny, but I suspect the process would be the same for other versions.

Don't know of anyone who would do it for you, tho you could probably find someone if you're willing to spend the $$$.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That article is interesting.

I didn't try that approach I swapped the guts from a C56 into my C52. But there ar some issues to think thru. You MUST use the C52 reverse parts and there was also an issue with 5th gear one cover work the other won't but both pysically fit either trans. If you use the wrong cover 5th rubs on the case. As you can imagin givin a 50/50 chance I picked the wrong one :smile:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Why can't you just use the C56 as it is. As I understand it the shift pattern would be swap right to left, or up and down or both. But thats not a big deal, I know I could get used to it. Would the half-shafts and mounts fit?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You would need longer cables to reach the far side of the tranny, for one thing.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I wouldn't say "anyone", but let's put it this way----I did it and I didn't know anything about fixing a transmission (thank you Eric :) ) Basically it involves drilling one long hole and then enlarging 1/3 of that same hole then swapping the shift fork linkage. You might try printing that page and showing it to the shop. If they look at you like you're crazy you might want to try another place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts