MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've been thinking about getting into road racing, I've been thinking about some kind of way to show an interactive map of the course as you're driving on it. A friend of mine recently put a touch screen in his DIN, which is attached to a full fledged computer. I was thinking, if one was to get a GPS antannae for their car, you could use the GPS telemetry to track your movements on the track, sort of like on most racing video games. The only problem is finding or writing software that could do this. And then of course, there's the problem of getting the maps of those tracks.

So what do you guys think of this? Is this kind of thing already in use by pro road racers, or do I have a semi-original idea :p

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the purpose.

You sure as hell don't have time to be looking at a video screen during a race.

·
Round n round we go
3,030 Posts
Someone was mapping the track at Willow springs with a DL1. He actually drove on the inner and outer edges of the track to map it. Then he overlayed his laps over that. But I don't think that's what your looking for.

Here is the link to the forum it was posted on:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=356459

The pros don't use maps. They memorize the track. Reflexes have to be lightening quick.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Most of the Data Acquisition Systems now-a-days have a gps with them so the track "map" comes out and the rest of the data is tied in with where you are.

G-Tech Pro RR
CORSA
TraqMate
Competition Data Systems
Max Q Data

and of course the big boys

Pi
Motec
Stack

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
yah there's a lot of cool systems out there that tie all the car info, g forces, etc to a "map" of the track (it calculates curves and such based on GPS and G force info). pretty expensive for a small amount of gain - if you're just starting out don't worry about stuff like that, worry about more seat time. The mapping and such is only good once you've got a good base to build on

Of course all the "mapping" and data systems are for looking at AFTER you've run the course. If you got time to look at it while you're driving then you're going way too slow.

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.