MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toystar II update

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Bill Strong 
#1 ·
Last week I tried everywhichway to try and make the 4T80E auto trans fit into the AW11. It just wont work. The suspension mount is in the way. I thought about notching it. But the goal is to get a trans in there without cutting up the AW11 suspension.
So now I am going to try a 4T60 hydroalic trans. The 4T60E would be a better choice as it is a bit tougher. But requires a computer. The 4T60 does not. Avaialble everywhere the best versions are 1987 to 1990. Later the better. This is the same style trans as Carl Crawford used in his GM supercharged V6 AW11.
The 4T60 is about 100 pounds lighter than 4T80E. It is simple to install and should last with the torque of the carbed Northstar, and the low weight of the 1985 AW11.
So now I just need to find a good one.

#3 ·
been planning for a while. Finally got the rebuilt Holley 600cfm carb today.

I also just aquired a 86 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup 350cid V8 (4-bolt main)

anyone know if that crank can be run without the harmonic ballencer? Can the crank be ballenced another way?

#4 ·
okay, scrap the 350... bearings were said to be making noise. The bearings were perfect. I believe the noise was coming for the 2"x3" hole in the number 1 cylinder wall.

I can't believe my luck, or absence of it. Luckily the anchor was free this time

#5 ·
...and? Still got 7 other cylinders that work alright, don't ya?

#7 ·
a lot of v8 guys use the old w50 (or even the 4 speed w40). They were made around the 70's and early 80's, often found in Celicas and Supras from that era, they have a cast iron center housing. There is also the w55/57/58 which are more common but over here they tend to be about 3 or 4 times the price of the w50. These have an alloy center housing, I'll get some pics...

#8 ·
hang on...are you talking about an automatic? Is this for the st165? Anyway, here's the pics

w50

w57 (w55 and w58 are basically the same with different ratios

#10 ·
I know there's a lot of adapters available for fitting the above boxes to Ford and Chevy motors, but that's about all I know. What are you going to do with the steering rack in the st165?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.