MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of spark map are you using on megasquirt on your 4agze? Max advance?

Thanks,
Myk

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
i still have done no dyno tuning.... the car is driveable..... however *eek* i haven't checked base timing recently (not too long ago i did have to move the VR sensor a bit) so i'm not sure how accurate my timing actually is

but for spark, to initially run it i just had 10 across the board (to get it to an exhaust shop and drive it around a little bit).... now i have a very very simple map thats just 10-14? i believe and it's somewhat random at what point i went from 10-11 or 11-12.... i need to take a closer look at them again....

however, my fuel map is fairly good (still running way rich, though)

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
30 is pretty high considering that (if mounted correctly) edis is already advanced 5.... so you're going up to 35... that's high for a boosted motor! you may run into knock....

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
(double post, sorry)
i had used a spark map that a turbo 4age had been tuned on (and i have no idea how)... but it went up to about 32* or so... and from midrange up i knocked terribly which is why i went from that to a 10* across the board (didn't knock at all except for like in 5th gear at 20mph under full throttle) and now i pretty much dont still

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok I'm a little confused. These numbers are in "degrees before top dead center" right?
When we go from 10 degrees BTDC to 20 degrees BTDC we are retarding the timing right? So this would avoid knock?

I am using the stock Toyota DLi setup which is set at -10 degrees (so 10 degrees ATDC).

Advancing would be going from 20D BTDC to 10D BTDC right?

kk thanks,

Myk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Advancing = more degrees before TDC
Retarding = less degrees before TDC

30* BTDC is more advanced than 10* BTDC

Keep in mind that some of the best power is developed above 4k @ around 32* BTDC at 12-12.5:1 AFR, and you only need more (say 35*-40* or more) when you lean your fuel out for cruising (17:1 or leaner)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh ok I get it.

BTW Toyotaspeed90, when you wired up the injectors did you use the wires right from the harness plug (used the resistor pack) or did you wire directly to the injectors?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
i wired directly from MS to the injectors.

however, i have had some issues.... i have blown the 8 pin driver twice now and the fets once (one of those times was mainly because a bad battery caused some issues). I probably should be running a flyback board but i'm not. If i drive far i just carry a spare driver or 2 (and i socketed that chip)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts