MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
That thing has real door locks. Are they out of a mkii? Check out the interior shot!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Either close to production or made on a tight enough budget that they stole parts from the parts bin!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I like it. not so crazy about the rear end and interior dash/center styling, chrome wheels, green paint, etc. but all pre-production cars have some off things. still too expensive for me (any new car is)

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm not big on the styling of the front.
It's overall power and tech sounds promising.

I would still buy it if I could get it for $26k
Sadly it will likely cost around $55k.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm not big on the styling of the front.
It's overall power and tech sounds promising.

I would still buy it if I could get it for $26k
Sadly it will likely cost around $55k.
Ready to get your mind blown???? :smile:

http://www.7tune.com/news-toyota-ft-1-is-the-new-supra/\

Relevant material quoted below

But there is another sports car in the mix as well. After a mandate from Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda calling for “cars that touch the heart”, a source close to Toyota has confirmed the company is busy developing not only the FT-1 as the next Supra, but a smaller sports car too.”

“Priced at around $16,000 (in the US), this entry-level sports coupe will slot into the line-up under the successful 86,” says our insider.”

“Developed within a new sports car division headed up by none other than 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada, our source says these two next-generation coupes will form the base for a whole range of sports cars set to start joining the line-up from 2016.”

“Meanwhile, the smaller sports coupe said to slot in under the 86 should be powered by a 1.5-litre hybrid set-up and is set for a 2017 debut.”

BOOOOM HEADSHOT!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why does it have to be a Hybird? In my book, Hybird and sports car do not go together.

Can't they just make a sports car?

·
Registered
224 Posts
^ Really? You are aware of the definition of hybrid right? It doesn't mean slow-eco-friendly Prius.

McLaren P1, Porsche 918 Spyder, Ferrari LaFerrari... might want to update your "book" then

:p

·
Don't mess with Texas
19,880 Posts
^ Really? You are aware of the definition of hybrid right? It doesn't mean slow-eco-friendly Prius.

McLaren P1, Porsche 918 Spyder, Ferrari LaFerrari... might want to update your "book" then

:p
Eh, I could care less who is using them. All of those cars would be faster and preform better if they used a gas engine with more power.

Hybrid tech adds a huge cost and weight penalty to a car. It can be fast sure, but given no rules all engine power will be faster, lighter, cheaper and preform better.

Honestly the only way I am a fan of hybrid cars as technology stands now is how Tesla is doing it. The rest are a waste of money IMO.

The funniest fact is how people think they are "cleaner" or "better for the environment". When in actuality they have a much larger carbon footprint then an all gas car when you take manufacturing and disposal into account.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The funniest fact is how people think they are "cleaner" or "better for the environment". When in actuality they have a much larger carbon footprint then an all gas car when you take manufacturing and disposal into account.
Absolutely agree; Wish I could remember the name of this really good documentry I saw that goes more in depth about the manufacturing and disposal process... maybe someone else has seen it and can share.

The rest I completely disagree with :p

Lighter, yes. A gasoline engine producing same peak power figures, sure. But you aren't going to get the same torque and controlling capabilities that you can with electric motors. Furthermore, I have a feeling reliability and ease of maintenance also plays into effect here. I don't believe companies like Audi, Porsche, McLaren, or Ferrari (to name a few) are doing this for the environmental fluffy shizzle. We're begining to see a transition to petrol/electric performance cars for a reason...

I'm curious, what exactly about Tesla method do you prefer? They being an American company is not a valid answer... :p

FYI - Full electric is not a Hybrid...

·
Don't mess with Texas
19,880 Posts
Actually I realized it was a concept car that I saw, scratch that, I think tesla is a waste of money until if/when the concept comes out that uses a gas/Diesel engine strictly as a generator for the electric motors.

This is the only setup that makes any sense as battery tech is why all cars are not electric already and there is no new battery tech out or will be coming out in the near future.

Needles to say I don't put a high enough value on EV tech to give it more then a passing glance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts