MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
I just read the same article on Jalopnik, lol.
I think its a cool idea, but I dont think it will fill the shoes the of the last three generations since its drive system is totally different. And the rear end is too funky for me. I always saw the MR2 as the ultimate sophistication in simple sports cars. This has so much going on it boggles my mind.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
No thanks. To echo others - too much going on trim wise for me. The body lines are all over the place. It's ugly, convertible and a bad color to boot. :thumbdown

·
Registered
42 Posts
NAhh i pass this is more like the new toyota GRC (generic roadster convertible) and i'd say not bad if that were it....
but the fact that its a concept "based" on an mr2... its like a kick in the [email protected]

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Flywheel hybrid is the way to go for sports cars.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/hybrids/porsche-911-gt3r-hybrid-flywheel

Telsa discontinues roadster.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/tesla-roadster-reaches-the-end-of-the-line.html

With the CRZ already out, I think Toyota is too far behind the curve- if there ever was a market for a sport electric hybrid. The battery tech has too many drawbacks that it's hardly worth using with today's efficient engines. Plus, they didn't start using battery hybrids on bad ass race cars, unlike flywheel hybrid. I still think it would still be a great car to drive while the batteries were good. Toyota has been throwing money at this half-gas/half-electric concept for a decade now (google Toyota 'volta'). However I think by the time it reaches market, it will be outdated by flywheel hybrid technology.

Q

·
0 Posts
Engine lid cover is reminiscent of the Mk2 Spider:

If they kept the battery packs small to reduce unnecessary weight, and put a VVti 3SGTE in the back with a T3 turbo and programmable ECU, then I think they could be on to a winner :thumbup

·
Registered
926 Posts
looks like a spyder with a new body kit and a revamp drivetrain...wait...it is a spyder with a new body kit and a revamp drivetrain!.

·
Round n round we go
3,030 Posts
Look at the brakes. They obvious expect enough of a performance potential to put those huge brakes on that car. Those brakes will only clear 18s.

consider this car has 300hp just in the V6+ 100hp in the hybrid system and weighs around 3300lbs. That gives it better performance figures than a Mitsu Evo. It's hard to deny the performance potential of this concept.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I think its absolutely fantastic. Just seeing Toyota designing things that are not Corollas and Camrys is great! The spyder was a great chassis, just had a crap engine and looks only a mother could love. The looks on this are aggressive and interesting. Putting some good power on this thing would be awesome.

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you guys read how Mazda wants to make their Miata under 2Klbs, I imagine toyota may do something similar. Having a hybrid drive train could mean serious power for this guy if it ever came into production. You may snicker and sneer at it now, but when it pulls away and keeps on going, it will be hard to deny that this thing is good.

If you guys have ever driven the new Volt, it's torquey as heck. This will likely feel like that, except when you get to the car's natural power band, the motor will take you the rest of the way.

And like the CRZ, I don't believe it would get better than 40mpg. Even less if us MR2 people drove it like we stole it. Daily.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
not my thing.But happy to see another MR2 kind of car from Toyota.
could be looking much better in a more sportive color.
that brownish thing is strange.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts