MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
mechanicgram said:
ROFLMAO! I with you there! As a mechanic for over 17 years Iv worked on my fare share of BMW's and other German makes. Biggest PsOS ever!! There insistence on using plastic on engine pieces where ever possible astounds me!! And you remember what happened the last time Japan and Germany got together?? Watch Out Hawaii!!! :p

David

I sold my E46 M3 last week and I felt nothing but relief!

·
Registered
57 Posts
While I do agree that BMW's use of plastic for engine parts is fail, Having owned 2 BMWs I simply replaced my cooling system with parts that had metal where it mattered. Spent around $150 for parts and 4 hours of my own labor. Other than that they were both quite reliable cars.

As far as this partnership goes, it will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I suspect the partnership, if they do develop a RMR design like the MR2 (which I SERIOUSLY doubt) It will be a turbo-diesel BMW motor with electric components all over. like the GRMN concept. Or it may just be a motor-generator with all electric drive.
In any case.
I severely doubt toyota will ever again produce an RMR drivetrain car ever again. They have had concepts for the last decade, and what do they do?
Flat 4 boxer GT-86 (blasphemously called a Scion FR-S in N. America)
With their statement of no longer producing internal combustion motors themselves. (In other words, using Yamaha Engines)
We will never have another car like the MR2 in the affordable range. The era has come and gone, and fortunately, we few are keeping it very much so alive.
It seems to me like the majority market is looking for gas sipping attractive cars that not only hold a family of 5, but cargo for a road trip as well.
An RMR sport's car will fall into the catagory of low reality to high concept.
So, in short, I doubt I will ever see another RMR from Toyota again.
I could be wrong, And I do pray I am.
I think there will be a Camry-esque RWD to come out of this partnership myself.

Oh, and you can bet your paycheck I would buy a GRMN if it came out. I dont like large cars. :/

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
matadorCE said:
I sold my E46 M3 last week and I felt nothing but relief!
Amen to that! I sold mine too and was relieved. The coolant system was junk. I think they make great cars, but there not my thing. Audi makes the better sedan. That A7, OMG!!!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Me too. I was praying for that car instead of the FR-S. But God has once again proved she hates me, and wishes to enjoy my disappointment and frustration.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why reinvent the wheel just put the mk2 back into production! If BMW really wants to go in on it let them design a cupholder for it.. Thats made out of plastic right?

Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
i really love what bmw did with the 1 series m car and the toyota 86 was and unexpected step in the right direction. Hopefully they keep this momentum going.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
How does Toyota using all Yamaha engines signal that they will never make another MR2? Didn't Yamaha make the engine for the MK2? Help me understand that logic? Is that like when people said Toyota will never make another sports car? I guess you can argue that the FRS is not a Toyota, or not a sports car, but that will just make you look silly.

·
Registered
400 Posts
mr2by4 said:
How does Toyota using all Yamaha engines signal that they will never make another MR2? Didn't Yamaha make the engine for the MK2? Help me understand that logic? Is that like when people said Toyota will never make another sports car? I guess you can argue that the FRS is not a Toyota, or not a sports car, but that will just make you look silly.
Toyota will build what the market will pay for, and if they can make a profit. Simple as that.

They are definitely heading in the right direction though. FRS/GT-86, new IS F-Sport, new GS F-Sport, LF-A, etc.

-Josh

·
Registered
589 Posts
mr2by4 said:
Yamaha makes the cylinder heads for Toyota's "performance" motors including the MR2. Not the entire motor.

As for the FRS not being a Toyota. I guess Im feeling silly cause last I checked its manufactured at the home of Subaru. Just because it carries a Toyota badge doesn't make it one. Look at the Chevy Prizm. Would you argue that it's a Chevy? Now that would be silly..lol!

David

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
mechanicgram said:
Yamaha makes the cylinder heads for Toyota's "performance" motors including the MR2. Not the entire motor.

As for the FRS not being a Toyota. I guess Im feeling silly cause last I checked its manufactured at the home of Subaru. Just because it carries a Toyota badge doesn't make it one. Look at the Chevy Prizm. Would you argue that it's a Chevy? Now that would be silly..lol!

David
What exactly did Chevy contribute to the design of the Prizm other than a grill and badges? This is like the old "a 914 isn't a Porsche" argument. If You wanted to say that the Pontiac Vibe isn't a Pontiac, I would give you that one, but if there was a collaboration, which no one seems to deny in this case, then the factory of origin is not the only way to determine the "maker".

·
Registered
589 Posts
mr2by4 said:
What exactly did Chevy contribute to the design of the Prizm other than a grill and badges?
Well almost all the body panels and lights are different from the Corolla and are GM's design but underneath the body panels and lights it's a Corolla through and through. Pull the body panels and lights off of the FRS and what do you have?? A naked Subaru BRZ.. :smile:

mr2by4 said:
This is like the old "a 914 isn't a Porsche" argument. If You wanted to say that the Pontiac Vibe isn't a Pontiac, I would give you that one, but if there was a collaboration, which no one seems to deny in this case, then the factory of origin is not the only way to determine the "maker".

Factory of origin is not the only way to determine the maker but it does play a big role. I'm not denying that Toyota collaborated with Subaru with the design but a majority off car is of Subaru design down to the transmission and engine.

I guess one could argue that the Tundra and Camry aren't Toyota either because they're assembled here in the states (and assembled is the key word here) but practically everything down to the engine parts, transmission parts, electronics, etc.. are made by Toyota. This is not the case with the FRS.

I'm not an FRS basher. I actually think the car is pretty cool. I'm "REALLY" disappointed that it's not Toyota powered but I do think it's got potential....once you pull that Suby motor and transmission out... :p

David

·
Registered
849 Posts
BMW + Toyota = Win.

Hopefully, it has Toyota's design/engineering and BMW's performance.

And a MR platform would be so nice! Maybe use the BRZ/FRS chassis as a starting point?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
The BRZ is a poor choice for a MR platform. Seems that Toyota likes to start with a FWD platform. The good news is that this means the Camry is a viable donor, like it was with the MKII, and so the possibility of it being powered by a 2gr is a distant but possible hope.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
2_From_NH said:
BMW + Toyota = Win.

Hopefully, it has Toyota's design/engineering and BMW's performance.
I'd have to say BMW + Toyota, probably won't end well. And AFAIK, Toyota's design/engineering runs circles around BMW and most other companies. Not to call BMW the worst or anything, but I'd take a Toyota car or even driveline almost any day over BMW.
I finished up swapping my dad's mk2 recently, so he could get back to driving it n sell the silly M3 he's been daily'ing.
Many BMW's look good, sounds good on paper, and disappoint in person. :(

Toyota needs to build a car they know how to already, and simply style it well (something they tend to have a problem with sometimes...). Just take the mk3-like chassis/weight, keep hardtop as std, maybe conv. as an option, add a 2gr/6spd, style it well like a Lotus Elise/Exige/etc, and wooohoo. :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think they're better off immitating the MKI. Small, light weight, some sort of roof option (sunroof, hardtop, conv.).

Unfortunately, I still don't see if happening for a LONG time.

-Josh

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
No reason to suggest it wont happen.

Alfa will be rebadging the Mazda MX5, or to you guys the Miata.

The world is shrinking as more companys get together and share components.

Frankly i dont car as long as a Mid - engine well priced car is made that isnt priced like a Porsche or the new NSX being released.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts