MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how does a torsen drive in the winter?
Is it gonna pretty much act like it's an open diff?

I've heard on and on that clutch type is superior (but only in terms of all weather performance)

This makes sense theoretically, because a clutchie would always resist even if one tire has no grip, whereas a TorSen would have to have torque on both sides in order for that torque to be biased as it sees fit.

But anyone driven on ice with a Helical yet?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...then again, I'm on a budget, and if a used torsen would fall into my hands for very cheap, I'd grab it. Doesn't matter if in glare ice conditions it'll behave like an open diff.

If I think back to the situations I've encountered - accelerating was the last of my worries when I encountered black ice. It was the "oh my god we're not stopping!" that very nearly made me soil my mint 88 stripper cloth seats.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I live in Alaska and spend many months driving on ice and through snow. While I can't speak for the Torsen diff, I have a KAAZ clutch type LSD in my 88 SC and my impressions are this:

With LSD I get better grip when pulling away from stop signs and accelerating, However you need to be very smooth in your throttle inputs in corners on ice as the LSD makes the car a bit more likely to snap around.

Other than those two things, the car doesn't behave that much differently, the MR2 has always had great traction on ice (when fitted with proper winter tires) and because of its balance handles on ice very predicatably, just a bit toucher with the LSD installed.

In snow, the LSD can only do so much as the real problem with the MR2 in snow is ground clearance, the only times I have gotten stuck in my 2 (with or without LSD) was when it became high centered.

Just my .02

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Nick's comments are a good reflection. An extreme example of this are trucks w/ lockers. Great for traction in a straight line. Does really nasty things in very slick corners.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
True, but they are all creatures of the same habit. (dunno, had to continue the joke...).

Yes, they are all different, but conceptionally they'll create similar affects, just on different levels. Hence why I threw it out there as an extreme example. I bring it up because I considered a locker for my truck and then decided against it for this reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts