MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Security Camera Pimp
1,540 Posts
here is what speed-source did to reinforce mine on the 86...
front

rear

The front has a metal tube welded into the chassis mount itself as well (see pics of the rear to see how the front was done). This changes the pivot point on the front chassis mount relieving the pressure on the "nub" that always rips out. The reinforced rear mount also should help.

If you search, you will find posts about the first time I had mine rip out on me years ago on the original boostmonger chassis. At the time it was still supercharged, before going turbo. That car had poly mounts and lots of rust. Like all metal parts, strength varies among production units and some models will take a bit of a buse while others may fail with a dirty look.

One of the biggest flaws with this part of the chassis is the wldnut inside that nub. once that gets loose, the mount has a single bolt to pivot on and that piece of sheetmetal doesnt stand a chance.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Pulled mine off today and checked it. Everything looks good, no cracks or such. I did discover my transmission mount bolt had gone awol. Which lead me to think that my transmission listing put extra strain on my worn out rear mount causing it to fail which put even more stress on my front mount.

Replaced the bolt for the transmission mount, installed my new rear mount, and I don't clunk anymore. :)

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Gravedigger

You can subscribe without posting.. There is a button for that ... ;)
Depending on your browser, its either a drop down at the top, or at the bottom under thread tools or both.

·
Banned
4,314 Posts
Had to do this today, I was a nervous wreck welding that close to gas tank and lines. It started to catch fire a little so I hosed it. I was considering getting a friend who is a much better weldor to do it but decided to attempt it myself.

Hope it holds, already mashed the gas and it held. So who knows. I didn't get welds all the way around the plate, got the about 2/3 the sides and front of round part. That stock steel is some thin ____.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
When I fixed mine, I had to do a LOT of welding. So much in fact that the sound deadening caught fire inside the car. Good thing I had already pulled the carpet up, else I could have lost the car since it was on a hoist and I was under it.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts