MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Inferno said:
Lol. Everyone always seems so gun-ho about upgrading to polyurethane mounts, but do you guys realize that the rubber mounts you have now are over 20 years old. Just replacing all of your mounts with new oem ones will probably feel like a world of difference, while also allowing some more movement compared to the polyurethane mounts. Making them as stiff as you can isn't always the best route, I would think some movement is good.
From the way you type this out, it sounds like you haven't used new stock mounts or poly mounts. I had Kirks inserts on my old street car that I sold. I loved them. Shifts were alot more firm as well as initial acceleration. As is known, the only drawback was the extra vibrations but the car was loud anyways so it didn't really bother me.

·
Thailand rules!
6,838 Posts
YellowJacket said:
Funny story:

I got inserts from Kirk for my 85.

Took them to my firestone and asked them to pop them on there when I was having other work done.
When I went to pick up the car, the tech had put one of the mounts in the front but the back mount on the early 85, have a different config, and Kirk had given me the later insert.

The tech figured it must go on the side so he crammed it in the side passenger mount instead.
When I picked the 2 ,up he was telling me what a pain that side mount was to put in and he had to shave it a bit (it still isnt totally flush) but he got it. I said "What side mount?"

When I called Kirk, and told him the back wouldnt fit, he said, Oh man, you have the 85 I forgot... and when I told him that I now got one side and one front... he happened to have an entire drivers side mount with insert from his prototyping he offered me.

so I picked up a mount he had for the drivers side which had an insert in it and also got the proper back mount and got those put in as well.

So end of the story is that I have kirks inserts on all four of my mounts as you mentioned. Its like a rock and the engine doesnt move when I throttle it. It does have some extra noise inside cabin- especially at around 3300-3800 RPM but its not a family car, anyway. :smile:

OK, so the next important questiosn - how long have they been on (time & miles) and have you had any problems with the front mount plate tearing?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
mcm95403 said:
OK, so the next important questiosn - how long have they been on (time & miles) and have you had any problems with the front mount plate tearing?
I am afraid I wont be much help there right now. I got the car in August. Its not my DD. It also has spent a lot of time in the garage undergoing its transformation since it was neglected. I would have to look at my registration papers, but I dont think its had more than 600 miles put on it since I got it... definitely under 1000. And I probably put the mounts on in September-ish. Now that its cold and rainy, and the tires are bald, it sits in the garage mostly and I have only driven it a few times to the store in the last 30 days.

Once my S-Drive 205/50-15s get out of back-order from TireRack and drier weather comes then I will get the new tires on it and will drive it more. Especially come Spring when things start warming up.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
mcm95403 said:
Mine couldn't have been more than about 8000 miles. My right mount failed too (the bolt was missing, one stud was missing a nut, and the other one sheared off). I'm sure the failure was related, but I don't know which happened first or if either were related to the polyurethane inserts.

If it were me, I'd reinforce the thing sooner rather than later. Its really not that hard if you have a decent welder.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Alrighty then,

Spent a few hours underneath the car on Thursday night. I think the problem is fixed.

Our lift is not big enough for a normal car, so I had to just use jackstands. After I got the car up on the stands and then jacked up the engine, I was relieved to see that the crack was not as bad as I thought. I could barely see it. Oh, duh, that's because there's no weight on it. In reality, the "seam tear" that I saw last week was much worse. The front bolt had torn right off the engine mount.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I just ripped off the rest of the cracked metal and found a perfectly sized piece of .100" steel in the scrap metal bin. I didn't have to cut it at all, just ground the edges down and put a couple holes in it. I found a nut (M10x1.25) and Joe, our welder, tigged it on.

After I had taken a wire wheel to the chassis and lined up the new repair piece, it was clear that a flat piece of metal was not the right thing to use. Fortunately there is some room for breathing as far as positioning of the engine mount goes. I used a sheet metal brake to bend the sides of the piece up a little bit. It was clear at this point that with this thickness of metal, getting it to line up perfectly was not going to happen, so Joe decided to use a mig welder for the chassis end of the job. Joe is a little bit better with a mig than I am, lol, but he did a pretty good job. We made him a bed out of bubble wrap because the car was halfway out of the shop and it was snowing on and off outside :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Joe was under there for a while and did a lot of welding, which took a while to grind down afterwards (my arms are still sore from holding the grinder upside down on my back from as far away as I could, so I didn't get sparks and slag in my clothes :p). I'm happy with the results for now though. Since it's technically not quite sealed, I'm going to get some expanding foam and put it inside the frame rail and the little nub that comes off it. I also wire wheeled the sides of it and put some spraypaint over the whole deal, which should work for now. Definitely need to do it right the next time I'm under there, though.

As for results, it's hard to say since it has been snowing for the past few days and the roads are covered in ice. I haven't heard any creaking from back there, but I haven't exactly put the car under any throttle either :p

I'll post back here if there's any changes, but I think this problem is solved, at least for now. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Attachments

·
Administrator
42,298 Posts
I had over 20,000 miles on my own urethane mounts, and then a few more with the Kirk mounts before the car was taken off the street. My front mount failed on the first day I purchased the car after tuning it up. That sucked as the engine swayed in the engine compartment. It broke due to rust and a lose bolt. Welded in new sheet and a nut and all has been well since 1999.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
javajoe79 said:
From the way you type this out, it sounds like you haven't used new stock mounts or poly mounts. I had Kirks inserts on my old street car that I sold. I loved them. Shifts were alot more firm as well as initial acceleration. As is known, the only drawback was the extra vibrations but the car was loud anyways so it didn't really bother me.
I know Kirk's inserts make great improvements and feel awesome, but has anyone compared them how to brand new oem rubber mounts feel? No, I've never actually done the comparison myself, but I've always been curious as to how much difference there really would be.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
When I take my car off the road to restore it (after I graduate, buy a house, and a second car lol) I'm tossing the poly inserts and just going to buy new front and rear mounts. At Aaron's prices, they can be had for in the $50-$70 range each, which isn't really a huge deal all things considered.

·
Administrator
42,298 Posts
yes I did, and actually made a thread about it back when Kirk started making them. I purchased new mounts from my local Toyota stealership. installed them. car worked fine, engine had normal movement. Installed Kirks mounts a week later and the engine had little movement, and felt stronger on acceleration. Though the Gtech showed the same info as stock. It just FELT better. There was little noise increase, but my car was loud anyway, so any noise was not heard.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Just to +1 the thread, my front mount ripped off with my 20v. Not sure if it wasn't tight enough or because I was making HUGE hp (must have been 120 to the wheels lol).

Haven't addressed it yet. I'll figure something out when I do the 3s swap.

·
Registered
162 Posts
you guys are scaring me lol, Ive had my 75a poly mounts from twosrus in my car for around 5000 street miles and 10+ autocross events with fairly aggressive launches (~5k rpm).

So far theres no problem and Im lucky enough to have no rust on the frame of my car but im going to definetly be keeping a watchful eye on this.

As for the mounts I wouldnt trade them for anything, love the way they feel.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
This thread has made me nervous. I started to hear a creaking behind the driver side firewall, and have felt something bang against the frame under hard acceleration. I thought it was a bum transmission mount. I know my rear mount has fallen apart, so I'll double check my front mount while I replace the rear. I run stock rubber inserts with no intentions to change to the poly. I hope my front mount is ok. :(

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
bentheswift said:
Driving like this could quite certainly cause the front mount to fail...
I figured, I'm only using it to get to work (2 minutes away) since I let my folks borrow my backup car and have the new mount coming in Monday. :thumbup

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
BTW, my car has 255k miles, and is frequently auto-x'd/driven hard. Stock(intake/exhaust) 4A-GE.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts