MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Ontario's first MK1.5,'05
5,126 Posts
that is going to be a very expensive repair. All 3 of those classics are nice, but damn are they expensive to keep on the road.

Martin

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just gave the story.

But I'm sure you could find the whole episode somewhere...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've got all 7 seasons....they are awsome.

·
Premium Member
13,141 Posts
Yeah, I just watched that episode today (on google video). That was awsome. The british version of top gear is soo much better than the americanized version that was on the discovery channel. (way less PC)

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Martin said:
that is going to be a very expensive repair. All 3 of those classics are nice, but damn are they expensive to keep on the road.

Martin

I used to own a 1986 Lotus Esprit. It's as cheap as any of those cars to buy, and crazy expensive to maintain. That's why I had to get rid of it ultimately.

I'd love to become mechanically proficient enough to buy and maintain another early 1980's exotic... maybe a Ferrari 308 or a Maserati Merak like Clarkson was driving. Nothing produced today can touch the elegant beauty of that period in automotive design history. Today's cars just look too "chunky" in comparison.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
MATTHEWMR2 said:
you really think that cars designed in the eighties look better than the cars designed today??? let me guess you drive an mk1?
Some designs are timeless, the Maseratti that Clarkson was driving had great lines IMO. The old Jaguar E-Types have gorgeous lines as well, and those are even older. Is the McLaren F1 still not one of the best looking cars ever? the F40? the F50? the Diablo? all 80's cars with timeless body lines IMO.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
MATTHEWMR2 said:
you really think that cars designed in the eighties look better than the cars designed today??? let me guess you drive an mk1?
No, I drive a MKII. And I like the lines of the MKII better. But I still think that a Ferrari 308 looks better than an F430. I won't argue about performance, but from a purely aesthetic standpoint, I prefer the 308.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
lol i thought everyone tries to forget about anything that came out from the 80's...

the 80's arent really known for their great design and culture!

give me a F430 anyday

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Kimchi604 said:
lol i thought everyone tries to forget about anything that came out from the 80's...

the 80's arent really known for their great design and culture!

give me a F430 anyday

Take that back! Lol, you're probably right, but we can't forget the Ferrari F40, and above all, the MKII MR2 was designed in the late 80's! My other personal fav's are the Ferrari Testarossa, Mazda RX-7, Chevy Camaro, and Corvette.

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
PETC said:
I also drive an MK2 and I agree with dsf3g.
I'll also agree with that. The "Super Cars" of today really aren't all that "Super."

In the 1980s when there was no Internet and you could only get European cars like the Ferrari 512BBi or the Porsche 930 Turbo through the "Grey" market seeing a Ferrari or a 930 for that matter was a real event. It wasn't until the mid to late 80s that you'd see Porsches everywhere (and in Dallas where I grew up we DID) but you'd still see very few Ferraris. Most of the time you'd just have to wait until Road and Track or Car and Driver came out and then you'd hope they'd have something on one of them.

You also have to remember that the Ferrari 308 is probably considered to be the quintessential sports car design. And with that the only thing better looking in my mind was the Ferrari 288GTO. Powered by a longitudinally mounted 400hp V8 Twin turbo with wheel flares that make even todays cars look pale in comparison. Oh, and there were only 270 (or so) made. http://www.qv500.com/ferrari288p1.php

1 - 20 of 26 Posts