MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
If I remember correctly there were some rare cases of unopened gen2s with 400whp or more. It really comes down to how good your tune is, how safe it is, and keeping IAT's down. How long a stock unopened gen2 will make that kind of power? Who knows. Get yourself an efficient turbo, I don't know where to point you for a good one but don't try to do this with an ancient turbo.
Looking at a borg warner EFR series. If it's not realistically going to make more than a gen5 swap I think I'm going to order internals and a gen5 and build a motor. I have a friend who is looking into making a 500whp build with a gen5 block, and he's undecided on internals yet. He's also doing some research but at least he has Dyno time.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Looking at a borg warner EFR series. If it's not realistically going to make more than a gen5 swap I think I'm going to order internals and a gen5 and build a motor. I have a friend who is looking into making a 500whp build with a gen5 block, and he's undecided on internals yet. He's also doing some research but at least he has Dyno time.
I haven’t dyno’d my car, but all indications as feel is it makes at least 350 rwhp with the boost turned up. I really need a crank trigger wheel though, as there’s too much timing scatter to run above 15-16 psi. It feels strong on 18-19 psi when it’s not knocking.

My fuel pressure falls off up high (still trying to find cause for that), but inj duty cycle gets well into the 60-65% range on ID1000s. With higher fuel pressure it’d probably be 50-55% IDC, which is right around that 350 rwhp range.

Over 350 rwhp needs bigger cams (I have gen 3 stock cams) and likely E85 or over 93 octane for reliability. It’s more a problem of squeezing that much out of a 2L on pump gas.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts