MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger window has been stuck up for sometime now, I got a used switch and it didn't fix the problem. Got a used relay and it didn't fix the problem. I can't hear the window motor spinning at all when I press the switch either. I have a used window motor I bought online, but before I go through the hassle of taking the glass out and changing the motor, I want to test another passenger window switch on my car to make sure the used switch I got wasn't bad. All I'd like to do is meet up with anyone in the Phoenix are who has an 87-89 MR2 with working power windows and try your passenger switch on my car. It only takes a few seconds to pop it out of the door panel and unplug it.

Thanks, I'm located in Mesa.

Ben

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Test the wires for continuity before you go any further. You may just have a short or a bad ground somewhere and don't need to buy anything else.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It started working again today. I just put the old switch back on and checked the voltage meter in the dash. It went down when I hit the switch for the driver's side but the only went down when i would press the passenger window switch up. So I tried pressing down and the voltage meter didn't change. But then I tried it again and it worked. It goes up and down perfectly now. :D I'm glad I didn't have to change the window motor. That is a pain to do. I wonder if one of the wires is just loose or has a bad ground.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Actually the window motor isn't that hard to get out. I've done it before. Just have to use the holes in the inner door panel to get at the 3 torx screws holding it to the regulator.

·
Registered
658 Posts
FWIW, if your doors are anything like mine, you don't actually have to remove the window, all you have to do is separate the motor from the regulator. It's a minor pain in the ass and requires Torx drivers(which the average household won't have), but nothing too hard. If you want to swap the motors out today, by all means give me a call.

*swears* this always happens on weekends I decide not to grab a couple of little toolboxes from work...

- Ben

·
Registered
370 Posts
Actually, the motors themselves rarely go bad. It is usually the plastic gears in the regulator that loose a tooth. You can tell if this happens because when you try to move the window nothing happens but you get a power drain on the amp meter on the dash. If no drain, typically it is a switch, relay, or broken connection in the wires where they go from the door to the door jam. Also, you can carefully disassemble the door switches and often just clean the connections. This works if you see no melted parts inside the switch. I have done many windows and never seen the motor actually go bad. Could just be my experience though...

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
Let's not forget the number one culprit that always gets overlooked - the window lock button! I can't tell you how many people have beat their heads against walls trying to figure out what happened to their passenger window only to find that they hit the lock button the driver's side by accident.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Tom91TurboSMG said:
Actually, the motors themselves rarely go bad.
I have done many windows and never seen the motor actually go bad. Could just be my experience though...
Maybe you're lucky, maybe I'm unlucky... my d/s window motor was actually bad when I bought the car. I do, however, have a clean, unused TwosRUs replacement gear up for sale, from when I made the assumption that the gear was at fault :)

- Ben

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
David Hawkins said:
Let's not forget the number one culprit that always gets overlooked - the window lock button! I can't tell you how many people have beat their heads against walls trying to figure out what happened to their passenger window only to find that they hit the lock button the driver's side by accident.
I'm sure it wasn't that cause I tried pressing the lock button and tried it with the button down and up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts