MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so before I hack more of my car up I was curious. how do you guys close and open your trunk lids? The latch wont work with the cable if the lock cylinder isnt there, and you obviously wont be able to use the key since there would be no lock cylinder. Im curious as to how you guys open your trunk? do you just reach through the vent and pull the latch? any insight I can get woul dbe great! thanks

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I was thinking about connecting the cable directly to the other one that pulls the latch open, bypassing the lock cyl and i think that would work. I still have to look into it, but i am curious as to how others are doing it as well.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
can you elaborate a little more on the question? you didn't exactly say WHERE you were going to cut. are you cutting a whole in the bottom of the trunk? cause if so then you don't have to worry about the cable. are you cutting the center section between the tail lights out?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Pat Signorino is using an auto trunk opener with his. I will be looking into doing this also.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry, hard to explain for me.
Im cutting the floor out to pull air in. the intercooler will be vertical against the very back of the trunk. I cut out the two honeycomb rectangles out of the center panel, and I want to cut out one big rectangle behind the center panel. if I could leave the lock part in for the cylinder and cut it around it but it would look super ugly. the latch will still be on there, no reason to cut that high. but the latch wont work without the key cylinder in there. does that make any sense? I can close the trunk and the latch will hold it, but then how do I open it!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hope this person doesent mind me using their pic.

see thats where I need to cut out (im using an oem91-93 honey comb panel though) you have to cut out the lock cylinder, without the lock cylinder the latch wont have a way to release. Im not putting mesh, so I guess I could just reach through the vent and pull the popper lever?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I cut around my lock cylinder and latch. I just painted it black along with the I/C. I also put a mesh screen there. It almost looks stock. One MR2 guy who was looking at my car said "you need a way to get the air out". I then told him what I did because he couldn't even tell.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up cutting a large rectangle out of the sheet metal, including the lock cylinder. I ran the popper wire directly to the lever on the latch, worked multiple times in a row during test fitting. I cut a lot of the supports out too to make it look cleaner, Im very please with how it turned out, and cant wait to get an IC behind it. If I ever get pics ill post some up:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts