MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, i am going to go with a trunk mount intercooler. i have seen a crap load of idea's.

i was just wondering if i had a completely sealed box deal like what i drew would it work.

my idea is to have the airway for the intercooler to be completely sealed. air would enter the bottom vent then go through the IC and go right out through the honey combed area between the tail lights on my 91.

i was thinking this way the airflow is concentrated and there wouldn't be a need for fans. also since the air isn't being disrupted by the open trunk and its flowing straight in and out you would think the air flow would be better as well right.

excuse my crappy paintshop pictures but hopefully you get the idea. let me know your thoughts on it as well.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i could test it out by taking a big industial type fan and put it in front of the car then stand in the back and feel how the flow is with my hand with and without the shroud.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
A fan would greatly benefit that setup. You will probably get exhaust/engine heat in the airflow. I vote dual fans and the I/C will be super cool.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well if i do it the way i drew, i will weld some real fine mesh over the bottom shroud to keep debre from hitting the intercooler for sure.
but the reason i am looking into the design i drew is cause from any other normal tmic the air is pushed into the trunk are then trying to find its way out the honeycomb area. if i do it the way i am looking into then there is no disruption and the air is in and out no questions asked.
i am just trying find the best airflow.

also if i build something like this i can still keep my trunk carpet and a little bit of space thats left around the shroud and i wouldnt have to worry about the ecu getting any type of water on it.

also at the same time, saving money on not needing fans or speacial boxes made to keep the computer dry.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SinCityMR2 said:
A fan would greatly benefit that setup. You will probably get exhaust/engine heat in the airflow. I vote dual fans and the I/C will be super cool.
so what your saying is you think if i incorperate dual puller type fans on top of the intercooler but still within the incloser it would work even better?

i see how that would work but IMO i think there would allready be enough airflow with it being all enclosed i wouldnt really need them.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
kandie said:
well if i do it the way i drew, i will weld some real fine mesh over the bottom shroud to keep debre from hitting the intercooler for sure.
but the reason i am looking into the design i drew is cause from any other normal tmic the air is pushed into the trunk are then trying to find its way out the honeycomb area. if i do it the way i am looking into then there is no disruption and the air is in and out no questions asked.
i am just trying find the best airflow.

also if i build something like this i can still keep my trunk carpet and a little bit of space thats left around the shroud and i wouldnt have to worry about the ecu getting any type of water on it.

also at the same time, saving money on not needing fans or speacial boxes made to keep the computer dry.
somebody already beat you to the "vented out the honeycomb" idea by about 3 years now... his name is Pat and he's on this board somewhere...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nateness said:
somebody already beat you to the "vented out the honeycomb" idea by about 3 years now... his name is Pat and he's on this board somewhere...
i am not trying to beat anyone to the punch. i tried searching and couldn't find what i was looking for so i threw out the idea hoping someone besides yourself had any "useful" input like Pat cause i haven't really seen this kind of setup

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
I don't think a srhoud is necessary based on the results that I have seen with my set up.

Two things you might want to consider:
1. Why have the IC horizontal? That forces the air to "straighten" up ... if you had the IC mounted on perpendicular to the angle that the air is approaching, it would go straight through instead of turning ot get in and turning to get out.

2. On your drawing it looks like the "leaving" shroud tapers down to fit between the lights. That is going to slow the air down. You would want it to widen out so the air escapes faster, not bottlenecking. This is why I vented between the lights in addition to the Subura scoop. Since the Subby scoop was smaller than the shroud going into my IC, I wanted a larger maximum area for air to escape.

HTH

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
kandie said:
i am not trying to beat anyone to the punch. i tried searching and couldn't find what i was looking for so i threw out the idea hoping someone besides yourself had any "useful" input like Pat cause i haven't really seen this kind of setup
Pat is using 2 large fans ontop of his TMIC, and no shroud, but he modded the honey comb area to have the 2 large rectangle areas to actually be mesh instead of solid plastic. I believe the fans are there to help cool the IC when the car is traveling at SLOW speeds, or at a stop in traffic, at high speeds, a bottom shroud should be able to flow more air than the 2 fans, with the fans possibly becoming a flow restriction at a high enough speed.. but it's all a compromise.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
also, dual fans will cut the amount of air speed through ic by a small amount. i'd like to know by how much. could a descent sized ic be heatsoak from the 3sgte after a drag run or track run? wouldn't the speed keep it cool and cool enough to park after a few minutes of idle?

i do like kandie's idea of having a place to toss some small things and keep ecu away from elements. i'm guessing you're a chic (not to sound like a fool, but u never know what screen names mean nowadays ;), always good to have atleast one around-girl of course).

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
might need someone with a background in fluid dynamics to comment on how much the fans would restrict airflow, but you'd have to be flowing a lot of air in order to get 2 huge fans to become a *noticible from a performance aspect* drain on airflow. I'd say the benefits of having the augmented and constant airflow at slower airspeeds will outweight the projected negatives at high airflow speeds.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
mr_two said:
also, dual fans will cut the amount of air speed through ic by a small amount. i'd like to know by how much.
People put dual fans on the GREddy IC all the tiem and that is a much smaller core.

mr_two said:
could a descent sized ic be heatsoak from the 3sgte after a drag run or track run? wouldn't the speed keep it cool and cool enough to park after a few minutes of idle?
Sitting and idling is where you going to heat soak an IC.
All the cooling you did during the run isn't going to matter much once you stop the car (and stop the air flow!) and leave the car idling to cool down.
... unless you have fans running.

The fact that I do single drag & hillclimb runs (and also I have to stop at lights in traffic during normal driivng) is the main reason I want the fans.
Think of how often your car is on, but stopped ... that is the reason to have fans.

mr_two said:
i'm guessing you're a chic (not to sound like a fool, but u never know what screen names mean nowadays ;), always good to have atleast one around-girl of course).
lol ... I know at least 2 guys named Kandie

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mr_two said:
i'm guessing you're a chic (not to sound like a fool, but u never know what screen names mean nowadays ;), always good to have atleast one around-girl of course).
not a problem, but i am a guy. LOL

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
wow this is wierd...this is the same thing im doing. I have a air ramp where the trunk flooring use to be and i cut out the honeycomb center panel also.

I just welded two triangular pieces of steel on the frame rails and then am going to weld in a piece of sheet metal to make the ramp.

Mounting my IC was the easy part. I just used two "L" shaped brackets and screwed them into the frame rail so the IC is horizontal.

I guess from all the talk I'm going to go with some fans now!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
yeah thats what mine looks like too!^

only i have side exit exhaust so no exhaust heat

you should consider that jekyl...side exit takes off about 30 pounds I'd guess also.

What kind of fans do you have for your set-up?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts