MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody has added a high flow cat to a tko exhaust, would one fit anyways?

If so do you have any pics.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pic sailorman!

He sent me a pic of how he did it, he replaced the flex section of the b-pipe with a cat. Im going to go and get a Tko now! I was looking at adding a cat to a nur spec cause it had more room to play with.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Be careful! That setup sounds like it's a temporary, "drive to smog test and replace" type of fix. Without a flex pipe, it's very likely that you'll crack one of the welds over an extended period of time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Correct

Kenshis is correct. This is meant to be for temporary use only. And I would suggest trying to miss any bumps on the way to the smog test station. And I am sure it came with a "For off road use only" sticker.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You definitely want to make that a short term thing. My N/A i bought didn't have a flex section in the exhaust and it was constantly cracking. It broke off one weekend on the way to Vegas and drove me insane.

·
Registered
349 Posts
We can make cat pipes for the TKO and send it with an order for one. Could save a little on freight. Shoot us an email first and we will give you the info you need :). Thanks!

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
And don't forget your stocking dealers! I've got two TKO Catco B pipes on hand. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
David Hawkins said:
And don't forget your stocking dealers! I've got two TKO Catco B pipes on hand. :D
Are these the temporary high flow cats or do these have a built in flex section that allows permament installation?

I'm very interested if it's the latter!

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
racerex said:
Are these the temporary high flow cats or do these have a built in flex section that allows permament installation?

I'm very interested if it's the latter!
If you look at the cat in the above picture and the B pipe next to it, you'll see that there's no room for flex section AND the cat. It's the temporary one.

·
Registered
181 Posts
ansquared said:
I had KO Racing make up a custom TKO for me. The tips are 3.5" resonated. It actually sounds really cool!!
I'm really curious how that looks on your car. Do you have any installed pics?

-thanks

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
AN,

Any feel for how loud that setup is compared to other KO setups? I like the idea of this setup as I don't like being "dirty" seeing as our air is brown enough around here....

·
Registered
532 Posts

Here's what it looks like installed. Note that these are 3.5" tips, not the normal 4" ones.

This setup does allow a lot of low frequencies through. It's about just right for my taste with the PRIMARY cat intact, and sounds nice and throaty with the resonated tips. If you are gutted or have a downpipe, it will be LOUD and kind of truck-ish sounding (I had that setup for a little while). I would imagine the regular TKO to be much quieter in the low freqs.

AN

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I passed Oregon emissions with a cat test pipe installed. It took me a few tries, but it's doable.
Why did it take you a couple of times?

You definitely want to make that a short term thing. My N/A i bought didn't have a flex section in the exhaust and it was constantly cracking. It broke off one weekend on the way to Vegas and drove me insane.
how long did you drive with the cat on there before it started to crack, and where did it crack?

If you look at the cat in the above picture and the B pipe next to it, you'll see that there's no room for flex section AND the cat. It's the temporary one.
Can you guys source a shorter flex pipe?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It took me a few times because I didn't pass on the first try. I played with timing, and a few other things, but eventually changing the hardware out on my Nemesis to the latest rev is what allowed me to pass with improvements to closed loop tracking, and removal of the fuel cut delay. Keep in mind that the Oregon rolling dyno test is more difficult to pass than the California one.

I could source a shorter flex, but even with a shorter flex, the Cat that is used is bout 9" long, and there's about 8" of space, so the pipes are already compromised to fit a cat in there. Working with -1 inches of room, I still can't fit a flex.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts