MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiretrends.com

638 views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  drscam 
#1 ·
Anyone bought tires from these guys? Prices are pretty good compared to what the local tire places have been willing to do for me.

#2 ·
Barry said:
Anyone bought tires from these guys? Prices are pretty good compared to what the local tire places have been willing to do for me.
I personally have not, but have only heard good things rom people who have. a couple of friends of mine have bought from them, and they recieved ther tires very quickly. I have talked with them on the phone on a few ocassions and they were very helpful.

#4 ·
I got my rims and tires from 1010tires.com and definately couldn't find a cheaper price anywhere.
They are in BC so shipping wasn't bad to saskatchewan.
I thought it was decent but i also bought both rims and tires at the same time, so when you do that, they install them, balance them, and throw in lock nuts for free.

Great experience for me!!!

#6 ·
Tiretrends are great for service.. but about 20% more expensive than anyone I talked to locally. I eventually went with "deals4wheels" and haggled. I got them and was quite happy with the results.

#7 ·
Man, all the local tire shops here must really be putting the screws to people then ....tiretrends was at least 25% and in some cases 40% cheaper on all the tires they carry that I can also get from local shops, EXCEPT on the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 where they were actually about 10% MORE expensive than the local guys. That's probably the tire I am going to go with since it's tested a very close second behind the S-03 on TireRack's site and is almost $100 a tire cheaper.

#8 ·
I've purchased 3 sets of tires from them so far and have no complaints. Their service is excellent and shipping cheap (40$ for 4 tires) and their ship faster than they say.

My experience is similar in that local shops wanted about $1100 for my T1-S and I got them for about $800 from tiretrends. I must admit that I've never looked at "deals4wheels" but will check it out before I buy my next tires.

#10 ·
I guess I'm just lucky with my local shop.

For a pair of 245/45-16 T1-S, tiretrends.com was 20% more expen$ive, including shipping, taxes (no PST with tiretrends) and install/balance. I also prefer to buy locally when possible (and in this case it was a no-brainer), for service and support issues. See above for who my exclusive tire supplier is.

Barry: I am also running T1-S (205/45-16 F, had 225/45-16 R, now 245/45-16 R). Yup, they are soft. But I do like the stickiness of them. Great in the wet. And very light (unlike S-03s), which was important since I want to reduce unsprung weight (the primary reason I bought CE-28Ns). Since the MR2 is not a winter car and tires play such an important role, I don't mind the cost of a pair of new rears every 1-2 summers. It's one of the cheaper performance mods. :)

I found the 225s a bit narrow on my 16x8 R, so I tried the 245. My speedo is about 3-4% off now and the sidewalls just look too big. Unfortunately, those two are the only choices for 16" rears.

I think the T1-R should be out by now (it is not available in the US). It looks like Toyo has improved the T1-S. I'm looking forward to try it when I need the next set of rears.

...karl

#11 ·
Hi Karl how is the noise on the Toyos, both when they are "new" and after they wear down a bit (rears!)? And how are they for hydroplaning? Of course anything about the T1-S is just about going to be moot with a T1-R model now out but just in case I find a good price on the S's somewhere....

I view tires the exact same way - I don't really care about wear since my car is driven maybe 10,000kms a year max, so a new set every 2 years or so is fine by me.

#12 ·
^^thats prolly the only thing i dont like about my T1-S...they are kinda loud....but turn up the stereo or once i'm on the gas....tire noise is irrelevant....i also would strongly recommended them also...i will never put anoter set of tires on my car...they have a great tread life (for me anyways)...great in wet and dry conditions...money well spent IMO....am looking forward to the new T1-Rs when we can get them.....

#15 ·
Pat and others, if you DO try Deals4Wheels, just buy them there.. don't have them mounted or balanced. The guy they have doing it isn't careful and has a history of scratching rims. Take them down the road to Firestone and have them install em.

#16 ·
I haven't really noticed the noise that much. Never had any hydroplaning issues, how can there be with the size of the channels in the tread. They have so much space there which makes them able to really pump out the water and thus great in the wet.

Can't help on the T1-Rs. I won't need a new set until the fall or next spring.

...karl

#18 ·
I personally like the T1-S, but I have a limited comparison array... when I bought the car it needed tires so I went with the T1-S. Those wore out quickly so then I went with the Kumho Ecsta 712 and those wore out quickly too... now I'm trying some Yoko's and those are wearing even quicker....

So my next set (which will probably be before the end of summer) will be the T1-S (or actually the T1-R).

The T1-S is really sticky and handles great (even in the wet). The only small problem is that they are so sticky that they don't give too much warning before they lose grip in a corner (chalk this up to my inexperience as a driver maybe) but what they do do well is stick in the corners... so the threshhold of grip is very high... I find myself having to ease up in a corner since my limits are lower than the tire limits (at this point).

Hope all of this helps some, since I know tire choice can be very confusing (since everyone has a differing opinion as to what is a good tire). The only thing to do is get some info, try the tire and judge for yourself as this will be the only opinion that really matters.

#19 ·
I'm getting a set of rota circuit 8's (16") in June and one Yokohama parada spec-2 tire and an autometer phantom air/fuel guage. I have 3 tires that are mint condition and one that has a small piece taken out of the sidewall. I worry that it isn't safe so I might as well get a new one. I emailed Will at extreme velocity for a price because I would rather support a fellow MR2 owner before I go anywhere else. Customer sevice is a big thing for me and who can offer better service than a friend?

Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.