MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
nbvolks said:
I'm not trying to get in a pissing match, I'm simply trying to show which tire of the two is the better one. Less than a 100 bucks difference for a set of four tires is a pretty negligible cost when you figure in the importance of tires and that a lot of people blow that much on pointless non-performance junk.

I wouldn't/couldn't spend 1000 extra bucks on tires, BUT that wouldn't change the fact that those tires might be the best option. My point wasn't that someone should spend the extra money, but that if you want to know what the best rain tire is, then there's one, regardless of price. The question wasn't posed, "What's the best rain tire I can get with 25 bucks and a smile?".
In fact, there never was a "what's the best tire..." question starting this thread.

a thread talking about good tires for driving in the rain. most people talk about how tires are good for wet autoX, or dry autoX though. i am looking for rain tires to go on a car that is used for commuting, but also spirited driving on twisty backroads with a brunette in the passenger seat.

And then those of us who care, chime in with opinions and experience. Luckily we have one person here who knows the RIGHT ANSWER, the ONLY ANSWER, THE BEST! Good for you. yourock:

Naaahhh, I'm just bustin' your balls a little. Seriously, the KDW2 used to be the top scorer, now it has been surpased (according to Tire Rack's tests) by the Michelin. What that means is: 1.) tires keep getting better, and 2.) today's right answer might be tomorrow's wrong answer. I've got 20 adult years on you and I can tell you I've learned not to be so absolute. I've seen too many examples of absolute "facts" that are later shown to be wrong. I think it is wise to say things like "I think," or "in my experience" etc.
I think this thread was a solicitation of "I think" and "in my experience" comments to aid people with future decisions.
So I'll say, I think if you are a little tight on money, you might like the KDW2, but if you can afford to go $100 more, you might like the Michelins even better. There are a lot of good choices at various price points, and more money USUALLY brings you better tires.
Good luck.
:grouphug:

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
lbridges said:
OEM sizes are:

2000-2002: 185X55X15 F and 205X50X15 R
2003-2005: 185X55X15 F and 215X45X16 R

Like I said, many may not care to stick with OEM sizes, I just thought it would make for a better reference if the replies addressed what category was being offered in their recommendation: OEM wheel and tires sizes; OEM wheels but differing tires sizes; aftermarket wheels different tires, etc.
oops, forgot I was posting in the MkIII section. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Since this thread started, a lot of previously available tires are no longer stocked or if around, have been there (store) too long.
I cheaped out and am really happy. Front: Falken Ziex ZE-950 AS 195/55VR15 $81.95 Diameter 23.4"
Rear: Falken Ziex ZE-950 AS 205/45VR/16. $86.95 Diameter 23.3"
Total cost installed, balanced waste disposal etc. $385.80.
Great in the rain and no major loss in dry handling. V rating of course is not ultra high performance, but look at the price.

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
There seem to be several options for 195/55 - 205/45 on the dual-staggered wheels. The combinations I've found that come closest to OE width and diameter are all summer tires:
185/55 - 205/45 Yokohama s. drive, Kumho PS31
195/55 - 225/45 Dunlop ZII, Toyo R1R

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just ordered a pair of Nokian entyres for the rear of my 03 spyder. (205 50 r16) Anybody try these yet? They claim “75k miles rated”, and are $51.96 at simple tire. Discount beat that, and dropped their price from $106 to $50, which really seems like a steal if the tires perform reasonably well. It’s for my 18 yo son, and he’s a pretty conservative driver. I’d be really happy if I even got 50k out of them, and I’ll post back how they perform.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just ordered a pair of Nokian entyres for the rear of my 03 spyder. (205 50 r16) Anybody try these yet? They claim “75k miles rated”, and are $51.96 at simple tire. Discount beat that, and dropped their price from $106 to $50, which really seems like a steal if the tires perform reasonably well. It’s for my 18 yo son, and he’s a pretty conservative driver. I’d be really happy if I even got 50k out of them, and I’ll post back how they perform.
When his speedometer shows 65mph, his actual speed will be 67.3 mph. What's on the front? The mixture might be a no-no.

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
When his speedometer shows 65mph, his actual speed will be 67.3 mph...

.. What's on the front? The mixture might be a no-no.
205/50-16 will put the speedo dead on. That is what I use. Speedos are calibrated to read about 2% high with OE tires.

I agree that this could be very dangerous. I commented further on the other board.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts