MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well, I started the lip today and finished off the front of the skirt. Here's my progress:

Blocks-o-foam:

Rough sanding the side of the lip

Front of the lip:

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Got that nice roll from the bumper into the lip.

polished off the front of the skirt once I got the side of the lip done. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

Trying to get the sides to match up:

Here it is...the finished shape of the lip.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

And just for giggles we pulled the motor out of my shopmate's nissan 240

Lessons learned today:
1. foam is really hard to shape if it flapping around on the bottom of the bumper.

2. drain the tranny fluid before pulling the motor out of a 240 because it will cover the shop floor and make you use up all your oil dry.

3. 240's engines are a lot easier to pull than mr2's.

4. Lowes and home depot sell a foam block with sanding material on it that's around 100 grit that is perfect for getting clean lines in the foam. I think its supposed to be used for sanding drywall.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
my friend and i pulled the pos k out of his 240, it took like 3 hours from start to finish, we ran into the same tranny fluid issue, not fun to clean up. lol :)

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
The great experiment begins. I gathered all my materials. Resin, harder, chop mat, body filler, cups, brushes, and beer.

I glued some scrap foam to a box to see what method I will use:

Heres the layout:
1. Straight resin
2. Resin and one layer of chop mat
3. 2 coats of "milkshake" (half resin, half body filler with proportionate amounts of hardner for each)
4. milkshake with one layer of chop mat
5. 1 layer of milkshake ( I will later add a layer of mat on top with resin when everything cures)

6. 2-2 1/2 coats of resin only

Good news, the resin doesn't seem to eat into the foam at all so that's cool. We'll check it out tomorrow and see what goes down.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
ekliptik said:
i'd do what u did on the front of the sideskirt to the ends of the front lip. where it meets the wheel well.
It's actually in the works. I've got to add a bit more length and width to the lip. It's gonna end up looking like Angelina Jolie. Big lips and a wide, firm behind. :)

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
cott said:
man i really like that front lip any chance i can get you to make an extra when your done with yours?
I am going to make a master mold of the finished product so yes there is a chance. :smile:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Amazing, invaluable information for the entire board, kudos to you!! :thumbup

This is probably one of the best FG reads I've had in a long time, really motivating me to get started on my custom rear bumper/diffuser :smile:

·
5sfeturbo.com
2,750 Posts
This is a really really great thread!!!

I made molds out of cardboard and created fenders for my 240z out of fiberglass/metal once I had the basic shape cut from the cardboard-- but nothing fancy like this!

I can't say it enough, I'm amazed with your skills and patience.

Below is my attempt. I have a few more images on my site:http://5sfeturbo.com left menu under other cars.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
That 240z is badass. Looks to be heavily Porsche inspired. Looks like it could be an old-school JGTC car.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
BTW: I think I've got a new name for my MR2....

The Nerf Car (or Nerfmobile if you prefer)

·
5sfeturbo.com
2,750 Posts
Orphan said:
That 240z is badass. Looks to be heavily Porsche inspired. Looks like it could be an old-school JGTC car.
Thanks!

I was thinking of turbocharging it or dropping in a skyline engine. Not sure what it would cost, but sure would be fun car. The car has been sitting for a while, so it needs some bodywork and paint again. I'll probably redo the front end to be more dramatic.

41 - 60 of 409 Posts