MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
the only thing i dont like about glassing over the top of the shape is that theres gonna be like a 3/16" difference between the foam that you sculpted and the surface of the glass......i would wanna try and find something to put over the top of the shape first to make a mold, and then fiberglass into that mold.....that way its exactly the same...ima go register on that website...perhaps thats already been touched on....

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
fatalmk1 said:
the only thing i dont like about glassing over the top of the shape is that theres gonna be like a 3/16" difference between the foam that you sculpted and the surface of the glass......i would wanna try and find something to put over the top of the shape first to make a mold, and then fiberglass into that mold.....that way its exactly the same...ima go register on that website...perhaps thats already been touched on....
A few beers later (we just got a new fridge for the shop) and a couple of calls to some friends and we came to the same conclusion. It would be easier to make a mold and use that as a basis. Thank God for friends and booze.

Thanks for all the kudos again. Updates in a few minutes, my phone is acting nuts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Orphan said:
Tonight's lessons:

3. If you give your friend a piece of foam and sandpaper, he will make a penis out of it and stick it on your car.
Sounds like my friends..

I'm IN LOVE with your interior, by the way

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got started on the back of the scoop today. I've been dreading it because it's gonna be the most notable part on the skirt (if I did everything right).

Also got started on the front of the skirts. Here it is raw.

First round of rough cutting with the electric knife

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
rough sanding with 40 grit

It's starting to take shape. Im not a 100% on the front because I haven't decided on which front lip to go with, but it will incorporate a stock-style mudflap so Im leaving plenty of room.

got a new factory front bumper from a friend. I haven't decided on whether I want to get an aftermarket front lip or build my own.

Lessons learned today
1. to form the back-side of the blocks to the surface of the rocker-panel, I held a piece of 40 grit against the rocker and rubbed the block back and forth. fit perfect..

2. If you put a fridge in your shop and stock it with beer....your friends will come over.

3. Always have an extra set of eyes around. It never hurts to have fresh input on your project

4. D.B. loves his mini-bike and it will do burnouts.

5. Don't forget about your loved ones. My girlfriend cooked dinner for me tonight and I blew her off to work on this moneypit. I feel bad about that so don't expect any updates until next monday or tuesday. I've broken up so many relationships over this car in the past 7-8 years I've owned it. I've got me a good one and I want to keep her. Cheers

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
ALSO:::: I made sure that the skirt is dead level with the pinch-molding under the car. No more scraping and having to take off the skirt to jack up the car. Exactly what I was going for.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Johnsauce said:
Sounds like my friends..

I'm IN LOVE with your interior, by the way
Just a few bucks and a lot of manual labor and it can be yours. You should do it. If your anything like me, taking something apart, cleaning it up/refinishing, and reassembling it all is fun to me. I'll never sell this car so it'll probably be in a constant state of upgrading for the rest of my life. Stay tuned, I might be turning it into a hydrogen cell vehicle in the next 10 years.

·
Registered
599 Posts
+1 on the mold it's not as hard as people think and doesn't take to long considering you get a ready to bolt on part out of the deal. I've been on that forum for a while now there are usually some pretty cool projects going on. A front lip will be very easy to do I say go for it. It will be cool to see some more custom glassing projects popping up on this forum. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
how do you think your going to go about making a mold? i was thinking of using some glue+water and newspaper, to make a really light paper mache...then you could take the plug out and fiberglass into the mold, then just get the paper wet with a sponge and peel it off...

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm probably going to wrap the sideskirt in foil and make a mold directly on the car. I might use a "milkshake" (combo of body filler and resin) slurry on the foam itself to harden it before I do all that.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
i thought about that too.....what about just using a semi thick primer on top of the foam?....id rather just spray something on top to protect it from the resin than have to mix up a bunch of stuff and do a bunch of sanding....i think im headed in the right direction with the newspaper tho.....

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
cott said:
What about that sticky saran wrap stuff they sell in the floring section at home depot?
for what? to put over the foam? well...then when you fiberglass over it youve got resin stuck to one side and the plastic stuck to the foam....unless that plastic is really not very sticky at all, cuz you wont be able to peel it back once theres fiberglass over it...you have to be able to pull it straight off

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just using filler then sanding in the green stage doesnt take long at all really. I haven't done this kind of stuff in the last half year~ because of my accident so some of it has left my mind ha. But if you were to just do that it shouldnt be hard or as I said you could clay it which is ultra easy.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
only the one side of the plastic is sticky i just thought it woul be easy to stick to the foam and be realitivel thin and easy to smooth just an idea ive never done this before so just throwin in my 2 cents

21 - 40 of 409 Posts