MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my one of my tires, the tread on the tire wears down very quickly, only had the tire for about 6 months the are yokohamas AVS ES100, i have my car lowered dont know if it rubbing or not but the other side seems to be fine looks brand new doesnt show signs of bad wear, i havent been doing any burnouts or anything could it be an alighnment? now the tire is on the back passanger side, just wanted some feedback on whats going on.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Yes, poor alignment could cause uneven wear.
Start by having that checked out.

Bent or broken suspension components could also cause it...again...start with an alignment.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Where was the tire at front right, front left, rear right, or rear left when it was wearing excessively? I see you posted that "now it's on the rear passenger side" but did you rotate it there or is that where it has always been? Is the wear even across the face of the tread or is it just on the inside or outside?

Anything from lowering the car, to bad inner and outer tie rods can cause excessive wear. You may start by checking to see if the car needs to be realigned and also see if the any of the suspension parts need replacing or any of the steering componants (if it is the front tires that are wearing) are up to spec.

·
Since 1999*
7,117 Posts
#1 Check alignment

#2 Don't buy ES100's again. They have a reputation for wearing out waaaaaay fast.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the wear on my tire is straight down the middle of the tire, its the rear right tire that wearing down fast.....

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
well rear tires can't get outta line. so there goes that idea. You may have your tire overinflated to get that wear. Check your shocks/struts and suspension components also. If the wear has high and low spots, then it's your shocks/struts.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have the exact same tires and I'm having the exact same problem!! I have repalced all my suspension stuff like ball joints and tie-rod end links, ands I have a lowered car on 16's and teh rears burned up in like six months and the fronts are like brand new. And it isn't really alignment becasue I've had the car aligned three times. I cannot figure it out. I had one rear replaced with a used tire because a syringe impaled it through the sidewall. But I still have basically a racing slick on the left rear from what is left of the yokohama. I had a 40k mile warranty, and I brought it back top the shop and they gave me some BS excuse about how it doesn't cover MR2's I was and still am pissed off, it is the only part of my MR2 that is a constant flaw

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
guys....it's a 3000 lb RWD car with fairly narrow tires, with all it's weight on the rear tires and a factory alignment that calls for a fair amount of toe in.

what did you expect? you're NEVER gonna get 40,000 miles out of a set of tires on a MR2.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
PseudoRealityX said:
guys....it's a 3000 lb RWD car with fairly narrow tires, with all it's weight on the rear tires and a factory alignment that calls for a fair amount of toe in.

what did you expect? you're NEVER gonna get 40,000 miles out of a set of tires on a MR2.
words of wisdom. If you use yours as your everyday car, i would not buy street radials. Get an all weather tire.....atleast it will last a bit longer. Here's where the advantage of having all wheels and tires the same comes to play. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet to save a lil money.

·
Since 1999*
7,117 Posts
vtsuckah said:
well rear tires can't get outta line. so there goes that idea. You may have your tire overinflated to get that wear. Check your shocks/struts and suspension components also. If the wear has high and low spots, then it's your shocks/struts.
Are you saying the rear cannot come out of alignment and/or it's not adjustable? It's not solid rear axle. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts