1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, a few weeks ago I changed my wheels from 16inch wheels I went to
Front 215-35-18 x8
rear 225-40-18 x9.5

The handling in the wet is so much better as the car doesn?t slide out as it used to on the 16, but on dry road, when I corner fast all tires seem to scream (like a sliding noise) but the car still grips, it is becoming annoying as it seems like the car handles like ____ now.

Is it because the car is a bit higher due to being on 18 inch wheels?
Would lowering it a 3-5 cm solve this.

What seems to cause this noise? What can I do to change it?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
absolutely not. beyond any doubt.

you probably need an alignment. changing ride height changes your alignment.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
few, sounds good hope that?s it, as i never got alignment after they did the wheels, they only done wheel balancing.
I visit them 2morrow so they can finish the job which they should of done in the first place.
I don?t understand sometimes why don?t people do the job right, instead waste peoples time? total idiots

thanks for that TomsMR2

·
Round n round we go
3,030 Posts
All street tires make some noise when pushed. Some more than others. New tires have more tread and tend to make more noise.

Lowering the car won't fix anything.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Not sure what 16" sizes you were using before, but the OE front 195/55R15 tire OD is around 23.3" and the rear 225/50R15 has an OD of around 23.9". The 215/35R18 size should have an OD around 23.8" (slightly larger than OE) and the 225/40R18 size should have an OD around 25.0" (quite a bit larger than OE).

Like TomsMR2 says, this difference in OD really doesn't have anything to do with your tire problem. It is most likely compound / tread pattern differences.

Also, its always a good idea to get your car aligned once every year or two, but changing wheels and tires doesn't have anything to do with your alignment. A 'wheel' alignment is really a 'hub' alignment.

What tires did you have before and what are they now?

·
Registered
254 Posts
patR1 said:
Hi guys, a few weeks ago I changed my wheels from 16inch wheels I went to
Front 215-35-18 x8
rear 225-40-18 x9.5

The handling in the wet is so much better as the car doesn?t slide out as it used to on the 16, but on dry road, when I corner fast all tires seem to scream (like a sliding noise) but the car still grips, it is becoming annoying as it seems like the car handles like ____ now.

What seems to cause this noise? What can I do to change it?

Thanks
Quick thing ... are any of the tires rubbing now? Not sure what setup you are using but if they do, they will on fast sweeping turns when the ride hide changes side to side.

Cheers,
8j2_93t

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my car is on standard shocks and springs, i am not rubbing at all unless i go down a very very steep hill real fast then all four whells touch as i compress the springs so much on this sharp hill slope..

i had wheel alignment dont on the 16 inch wheels but that was 6 months ago. never got it done on the 18inch wheels.

on the 16's i had Kumho ecsta 205/45/16
on the 18 now i got front NEXEN
and rear WANLI? have u heard of this tires? cheap ____ hey

·
Registered
457 Posts
thats why theyre squeling...lower profile crap tires...your 16s had higher profile producing more "give" during load...now with a super low profile, the sidewall is reinforced so all that is left is your stock springs/shocks or the tread on your tires...im leaning towards your tires going first...

and depending on what wheel/tire size you had before compared to now...yes, the 18s will handle like poo...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they handle ok, even maybe better as there is more grip as well, but they only sound shiit, went to some tire shop 2day and they said its because the tires are a crap brand, so now im stuffed as good tires for these wheels are over 250US dammm

.. well luck enough i havent sold my old rims then...
as i know for sure i might one day just spank them back on

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so all wheels with low profile screem during high speen turns?

could stiffer suspension , and extra strunts bar solve this issue ?

·
Registered
764 Posts
It?s called tire scrubbing. Your tires are sliding out as opposed to gripping the road. You can solve this by buying new tires or slowing the down before the turn so you don?t overwhelm the tires.

·
Registered
403 Posts
18's on an Mr2 never made sense to me for performance reasons, only bling blang factor. Although better tires will help a great deal perhaps, nothing changes the limited, small, stiff sidewall you have because the rims are so big...

Go back to 16's-17's and put some better tires on! :thumbup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts