MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Didn't want to change the subject on another thread so I'll start another. In another thread I was told if I install the NST 180mm crank pulley I will have to remove the timing pointer. How about the 170mm or 160mm pulley? Then once the pointer gets removed how do you set the timing?
Thanks
Mike
89SC

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
I saw a writeup awhile back on this subject. The guy used a pop rivet placed above the original timing pointer. I haven't had to re time my motor yet(180 NST) So it hasn't been a problem yet.

There are also bolt on timing pointers that attach to oil pan bolts.
Check this thread for info: http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=135197

·
i overtake on roundabouts
3,802 Posts
the 160mm pulley clears the timing pointer, with the 165mm pulley you bend the pointer up a bit, any bigger crank pulley you cut the pointer off.
the 175mm kits normaly come with the new timing pointer to mount underneathe on the sump.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
feral4mr2 said:
the 160mm pulley clears the timing pointer, with the 165mm pulley you bend the pointer up a bit, any bigger crank pulley you cut the pointer off.
the 175mm kits normaly come with the new timing pointer to mount underneathe on the sump.
Farel, what kits are you taking about? I'm considering one of the NST kits but they don't say anything about a timing pointer

Mike
89SC

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
None of the NST GZE kits include a timing pointer. The NEVO kit does, and IIRC the FENSPORT kit had one too. Or it may have been the CUSCO

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
My Nevo came with a new timing pointer that bolts down on the oil pan. It is a simple install. The stock timing pointer needs to be moved or removed for anything bigger than a HKS size pulley, IIRC.

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
Where is the timing mark in relation to the crank key on the NST? Is it the same as a stock pulley?

I ask because the Nevo mark is 180 degrees from the factory mark, which is what allows you to use the bottom mount timing mark. If the NST pulley has the mark in the same spot as the stock pulley, the Nevo style timing pointer won't work.

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
86mister2 said:
Where is the timing mark in relation to the crank key on the NST? Is it the same as a stock pulley?

I ask because the Nevo mark is 180 degrees from the factory mark, which is what allows you to use the bottom mount timing mark. If the NST pulley has the mark in the same spot as the stock pulley, the Nevo style timing pointer won't work.
IIRC its in the same location as stock. My motor was timed when I installed the NST so I just snapped the pointer off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts