MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone knows how to check and set timing? I have a '92 NA auto, its not the best looking (paint is bad, some rust, and the engine is horribly dirty cuz of an oil leak, but I am very attached to my car)and I have been having trouble with high Idle. I want to check my timing before spending anymore money.. I have replaced my cap/rotor/plugs/wires and had a coolant flush done at toyota. I am not very mechanically inclined, but I am learning.. I dont have a timing light so I cant even try it myself... If anyone has some spare time and wants to help me out it would be great! Just let me know what days/times you are free and I will hopefully not be working those days lol. I live in Streamwood. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
have you checked your vacuum lines for a leak? maybe that's what's causing your high idle? is it just a high idle or a surgine high idle? i think vegas has the same problem with his car (or it could be something worse :dontknow: ). i also had a higher idle on my car before when i had that heavy spec stage 3 clutch in my n/a. have you dont anything to your car before your high idle? another thing that i can think that could possibly cause that is your coolant... try bleeding it and/or check your coolant temp sensor.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure how to locate all the vaccum lines. I have trouble reading the map on the engine lid. lol as i stated i am not very good at the mechanics of an engine. I have done all my tune ups/audio/bolt-ons by myself, but thats probably the limit of my skills when it comes to cars. I have a K&N drop in filter, HME header, custom exhaust, but i have had them on for about 2 years without any problems with my idle, the High idle just started right before winter. My coolant was flushed at a Toyota dealership on Tuesday and there was no change. And if my Temp sensor was bad, wouldn't the guage read too cold or too hot? I pulled codes but all i got was code 71 due to my header, and some speed sensor codes, but i dont think that they would affect my idle speed. Thanks for the reply..

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
cjx17 said:
I am not sure how to locate all the vaccum lines. I have trouble reading the map on the engine lid. lol as i stated i am not very good at the mechanics of an engine. I have done all my tune ups/audio/bolt-ons by myself, but thats probably the limit of my skills when it comes to cars. I have a K&N drop in filter, HME header, custom exhaust, but i have had them on for about 2 years without any problems with my idle, the High idle just started right before winter. My coolant was flushed at a Toyota dealership on Tuesday and there was no change. And if my Temp sensor was bad, wouldn't the guage read too cold or too hot? I pulled codes but all i got was code 71 due to my header, and some speed sensor codes, but i dont think that they would affect my idle speed. Thanks for the reply..
yeah the vacuum map on the engine lid is pretty crappy. afaik there are 2 coolant temp sensor one for the gauge & one for the ECU.

does your engine just idle high and/or it surges (idle goes up and down)?

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Don't go hunting around vacuum lines until you've checked the static timing. You
were on the right track when you posted this thread. The ECU can only adjust the
timing from wherever you set it, statically. If that's wrong, everything else will be, too. And if you had the cap-and-
rotor off, you probably did move the timing some.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now all i need is someone that has a timing light and knows what they are doing lol! So if anyone can help, please let me know. I'm going to be free this weekend i know for sure. Thanx for the replies guys!

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
If you want to work on it tonight, I have a timing light, and can show
you how to do it.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I too, can show ya how to check timing. I have a timing light. I'm pretty much free this weekend also. I will be gone on saturday for a few hours, 11-3, most likely. Weather.com says Sunday will be a better day though.

Have you searched on the notorious NA high idle? Check for air in the coolant? Check the ISC? Sticking throttle cable? Water temp sensor functioning?

Paul
[email protected]

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the late reply guys.. I had work from 3-12... I just got home and if anyone is available tommorrow or sunday.. let me know... Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
PINOIZE said:
I too, can show ya how to check timing. I have a timing light. I'm pretty much free this weekend also. I will be gone on saturday for a few hours, 11-3, most likely. Weather.com says Sunday will be a better day though.

Paul
[email protected]
This guy sounds like he's willing to help. ;) 3-7pm Sat(today) or 2-6pm Sun
just send a sincere email w/ an obvious title.

Oh yeah, where are you coming from?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry I will have to make a raincheck... I had something come up and wont be available tomorrow anymore.. Thanks for everything guys...

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Whats weird with his car is that, when he initially starts the car cold, his idle is low, and sometimes the car dies, once it starts to warm up a bit its fine and doesn't die, however it does idle REALLY high. Roughly 1.5k rpm if you unscrew the ISCS the idle even goes higher, and the screw is all the way in. Disconnecting the TPS dropped the idle a bit but not much. We retarded the timing a bit without even checking it and still no change, set it back to original postion and still no change. It really most likely is the TPS/Throttle body. There was a significant amount of oil around the distributor area which was a bit concerning. The ECTS wouldn't cause these symptoms really, it would cause surging and or low idle at start up and and remain at low idle at start up. Unless it's the cold start injector switch but then wtf? Im leaning mostly towards the TPS/Throttle body. A vac leak would really cause the idle to be extreamly low and or surge, not stay constant. The other weird thing is that it does respond to ISCS adjustment..... I dunno TPS it should be.

Greg.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for checking out my car... I found out the TB i ordered will be comming on SAT instead of tomorrow.. So maybe sometime next week you can stop by again.. Thanks again Greg! Let me know if you need help with anything..

-Chris

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I can most likely stop by on monday after 1pm Definately not a prob for me. I want to see more twos on the road than in the garage :)

Greg.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Cool, sounds good. (I'll pick up some McDonalds or something haha) I'll give you a call on Monday. (a little off topic) I have a huge oil leak.. probably from my distributor seals going bad... (also as Greg showed me, my cracked PVC hose) Anyways, does anyone know how to replace the internal gaskets/seals? I am going to order some, but i heard i have to take off the valve cover to re-align something before putting the distributor back in.. Does this require me to buy a new Valve cover gasket also? Or am i able to reuse the gasket if it is still in good shape?.. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
No you don't need a new gasket unless the old one is broken. Haha we'll work something out, ill help you out.

Greg.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today driving my car was weird... I had hesitation before 3K RPM.. and then I have really noticable misfires...Sometimes from a stop light it took sometime to pick up speed...LOL damn this timing!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts