MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to hijack that other guys thread so here I am posting about my own problem.

I haven't really gotten to take off the covers on the car to see if it's even the timing belt. Well this happened to me once already.. I was driving on the freeway right after I finished my swap and I just put in a new timing belt along with other things.. I found myself just cruising at around 75mph and when I tried to switch lanes I gave it some gas and no power...I pulled over and tried to crank up the car. The car starts and then just dies.. so the timing belt was changed with autozone brand one..(yes yes I know i'm going to hear it..) it turns out that it skipped a tooth or so...

Now here I am coming back from an mr2 meet and the same thing happens.. I ran across this thread: http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=86273

I won't take my chances this 2nd time around so I'll order a toyota OEM belt and see if I can find a new oem tensioner. Has anyone on this forum ever had a tensioner fail? spring get soft or what?? I have so much things on my car that don't even know if this is the real problem.. I'm going to do a compression test tonight or tomorrow to see if I can get even compression on all cylinders hoping that it's only the timing belt (*crosses fingers*)

btw, does the jdm largeport 4agze use the same timing belt as the usdm 4agze?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Ive seen it happen before. Usually shreds the belt into lots of little peices tho.

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PhoS said:
Ive seen it happen before. Usually shreds the belt into lots of little peices tho.
My first belt looked brand new, I just replaced it because I was worried it might have streched.

EricS said:
i think the seals in it can leak over time, causing the bearings to lock up. doesn't the bgb say to check it for leaks?
My tensioner looked just fine, I just never heard of them failing..

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
EricS said:
i think the seals in it can leak over time, causing the bearings to lock up. doesn't the bgb say to check it for leaks?
true , leaky water pump leaks right onto the pulley.

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
When swapping the T belt on my SC motor I was tempted to leave the old tensioner on the car. Then I spun the tensioner by hand, it spun so freely and sounded like the bearings had no lube in them I changed my mind right then. The tensioner and spring were under $35.00 for both(OEM) thru partznet. Rino, why go thru the hassle of replacing the belt and not changing the tensioner?

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Also, when you installed the belt, did you complete the routine to properly adjust the tensioner - i.e.: rotate the crank 2 full rotations clockwise and then tighten down the idler pulley? If not, it's quite possible the belt was loose, and jumped a tooth or 2.

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
86AW11 said:
When swapping the T belt on my SC motor I was tempted to leave the old tensioner on the car. Then I spun the tensioner by hand, it spun so freely and sounded like the bearings had no lube in them I changed my mind right then. The tensioner and spring were under $35.00 for both(OEM) thru partznet. Rino, why go thru the hassle of replacing the belt and not changing the tensioner?
I honestly didn't know people felt this way about the tensioner. I will go and change it now.. I will have to check first to see if the timing belt is even the problem. But thanks for the advice, Paul.

ITA-MR2 said:
Also, when you installed the belt, did you complete the routine to properly adjust the tensioner - i.e.: rotate the crank 2 full rotations clockwise and then tighten down the idler pulley? If not, it's quite possible the belt was loose, and jumped a tooth or 2.
I didn't do this.. I don't own a BGB but only a haynes manual. I don't recall the manual telling me to do this but now I know. I feel more motivated to work on the car so i'll do the compression check tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Things to remember when doing timing belt

1. What ITA-MR2 said.... Good info there. Thanks
2. make sure you have the proper tension on the belts.
3. Always check your work after a test run...... Some times I check my stuff 3-4 times. Just a piece of mind I guess,,, After a test ride, following weekend, then again at the next oil change.

Also
If you have a shaved head. Your timing will be off.

When setting the belt remeber that when the motor gets hot it will expand, Causing more stress on already tight belt. Over tenson adds wear to the timing pulley and to the idler tensoner. Makes the belts strech too

I dont us the tenson spring anymore. I use a fish scale and a 5 mm allen wrench trick....

I have never had one fail.

I have done this on motorcycle engine's of 999cc making 175 hp at 13500 rpm as well

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
mkimr2 said:
If you have a shaved head. Your timing will be off.
So, bald guys are out of luck?? :D

Never mind.

BTT ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts