MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1991 mr2 automatic non turbo
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello . I have a 91 mr2 5s-fe with 61k miles I don’t know if it has a chain or belt and if it has a belt when do I change it ? Since I’m in the process of changing the balancer I figure I. Doing both at same time . Any thoughts/advice at this time? Hate to create a titanic disaster by opening this can of worms

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I’m going to change it out before I relocate the car to Florida where it will be subjected to high mileage and brutal heat at times with that being said what is a good aftermarket timing belt kit Orem may be dry rotted if they are using old supplies thanks for replies

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Aisin is the OE brand. It is available for your car from Rockauto, at a very reasonable cost. Personally I don't use any other brand, and I won't install another brand for a customer. If they insist on using another brand, I send them on their way somewhere else that is willing to deal with premature failure of timing belt or waterpump. The mechanic always gets the blame.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you I’m looking into it they have 2 kits one is for 01/01/90 with water pump housing the other is without between 145-154 price my car was manufactured 09/90 so I am confused witch kit to get parts geek supplies the kit

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,613 Posts
That link implies that the Aisin kit has a Mitsuboshi belt.
Interesting - the OEM 3sgte timing belt I just installed says "TOYOTA" on it (and the part number), but not Mitsuboshi (or AISIN) anywhere I could see. Unlike most of the Toyota OEM stuff that's either Denso or Aisin.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

1 - 12 of 12 Posts