MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i've read alot of interesting stuff while searching about timing belts... But can someone tell me how much to shops usualy charge for timing belt replacement?

·
Registered
215 Posts
aMr2 said:
Hey i've read alot of interesting stuff while searching about timing belts... But can someone tell me how much to shops usualy charge for timing belt replacement?
It will be expensive. I've heard of people doing it with the engine still in the car, but it is really difficult due to the very limited space.

But, I have been quoted 800 by Toyota.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well dealerships always had outrageous prices?
did anyone ever get a quote from a usual shop?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
i think mine cost 500$ with parts...it was expensive but i don't think it's something i could stand to do myself... the dealership took forever to do it though

·
Registered
351 Posts
i dont know much.... but do you have to chage the water pump when you chage the timing belt???? even if the water pump is good?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
You should check the water pump when doing a t-belt because it is about the exact same ammount of labor to replace one or both.

T-Belt replacements on MR2 Turbos are very expensive because well...it is a HUGE PITA.
It is much cheaper on a MR2 NA.

My first T-belt replacement of any kind was on my MR2-T...the first time it took me about 3 days.

I put it back togeter and was testing it...and realized that I had the timing about 10 degrees retarded...so I had to do it again. The second time around only took me around 6 hours.

It can be done by just following the BGB instructions...and it can be done by someone with no T-belt experience...but it will suck.

The price of a t-belt is less than $30 ...the cost involved is all labor.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea. lol i have my car at the shop right now and they've been working on it forever, taking of IC and all that.
i asked them how much is it goign to be and they said we can't see whats the problem right now, we'll tell you when we find out.
It's a good shop and they hookup with the price but i am not going to pay them more then $500. lol that would be more then at the dealership.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guys from shop called today, said that my t-belt tensioner fell apart and idle pulley is bad and waterpump can use a change. all in all i asked him ho wmuch for work he siad 300 for work... does that sound like a good deal?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts